1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Micro Bass Heads for 2 Ohm (or 2x 4 Ohm) Use

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sid Fang, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

This has been touched upon in other threads, but I'm not finding the search function very useful this morning.

My main rig has 2x 4 Ohm 212 cabinets. Just running a half stack has been enough for any of my recent gigs, but the fact remains that, should my HD350 die, my only backup is my old SVT head, which sounds pretty cool but no way am I schlepping that monster as a backup head. There are a number of decent-sounding,, inexpensive, tiny, class D heads out there, including one from EBS if I wanted to be absurdly loyal. But none that I have checked could handle dual 4 Ohm cabs.

It may be that the mist pragmatic thing would be to just grab whatever is cheap and acceptable sounding, and in the case of a head crash of my full stack, cable it to the bottom cab only. But is there another option?
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Although not tiny, the new Carvin BX700 will give you 700 watts into 2 ohms.
  3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. not in the weight range of some of the current micro's, but the Yamaha BBT-500H is one of the earliest class D heads ... this ahead of its time modeling amp, at about 11 lbs will push 2 ohms, AND can currently be had in the TB classifieds in the $2-250 range ...

... let me know if you need rack ears for it .. ;)
  4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Eden WT550. Not a "true" micro, but a smallish box and 15 lbs isn't too bad.
  5. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I second the BX700. Not a tiny micro, but it will fit in a gig bag. At least my BX500 does.
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin has multiple heads. I would get the BX1500 right now for 499.00 so you will have 450w per cab, each with it's own volume knob, a switchable graphic EQ PLUS a semi-parametric eq. It's a steal. Free shipping also. If you want simple, the new B1000 is 900w @ 2 ohms, also 499.00.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/bassheads.php
  7. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

yep wt550 is a durn steal!