1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Micro heads and keeping them in place.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

So I have owned a couple micro heads and one thing has ways worried me.. Stepping on a wire and pulling the whole thing off the top of the cab.

I think that's why I like rack mountable stuff..

Am I alone?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

just bungee cord it to the top.
  3. Toptube

Toptube

If I gigged, I would just adhere a big pad of velcro to the top of my cab and the bottom of the amp.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a wireless most of the time, and if I don't, I use a long cord. But I've pulled down my share of rigs, micro or not. You don't have to use a micro for this to be a problem.
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

I usually velcro (or even tie) the cable to a cabinet handle, and then run it to the micro head. That way, if you pull too hard on the cord if you're too far away, the pressure is put on the cab handle, and the head is not really in danger of being pulled off the top of the cab.
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

use a wireless, or use a pedal tuner or pedal board w/ the cable's amp end looped around cabinet handle.
  7. smogg

smogg

I do this as well. But I have always done this regardless of the type of amp head. If I pull the whole rig down then it's on me. Musta been one hell-of-a show! :bassist:
  8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    As a teenager, I carefully saved my pennies to buy a brand new Peavey head. A few weeks later I pulled it down from the top of a full stack of speakers. I was terrified. The Peavey just kept on chugging for another 20 years until I finally sold it.
  10. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Why would anyone do that!!
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

This is what I often do on my rig. Plus, my guitar cable goes to my pedal board, not my amp head. It can still get tripped over, but I can't pull it down just by walking too far away.

Velcro is a really interesting idea, though. I'm going to think that one over...
  12. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

That's what I've been doing. The only way I could pull the head off the cabinet would be to pull the cord so hard I yanked the entire cabinet over. I simply don't jump around THAT vigorously! :D
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For my Genz-Benz Shuttle, I use the slide-in rack that comes as part of its combo setup.

If you REALLY want to lock something down and still make it removable, velcro is for lightweights....I have a better idea.

3M makes stuff called Dual-Lock which is a great deal harder to separate...it actually uses small plastic tabs which interlock and as a result, takes many times more force to separate than any kind of velcro does. I use it to fasten push-to-talk mics down in classrooms when I don't want them to get stolen.

Here's a blurb from a website: 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners are a fastening solution that can replace screws, bolts and rivets. The fasteners contain hundreds of mushroom-shaped stems that audibly "SNAP" together to form a secure attachment with strong adhesive backings that adhere to your substrate.

[​IMG]

It's expensive, but getting just a small sample pack gives you plenty of Dual Lock. I think this small pack would fasten down any micro head adequately. If in doubt, get two. Each inch of product is rated to hold 2 pounds on a wall; the pack holds matching strips of 3" length, rated for 6 pounds...on a vertical wall surface. Buy two and you're good for 12 pounds. On a horizontal surface, my estimate is that it would hold twice the weight rated for a wall mounting.

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=RFD7090&vid=4&src=F

[​IMG]

Do a web search and you'll be surprised how good this stuff is, and how expensive. It's something to buy in small packs, not rolls...because a roll of 5 yards is more than $100.
  14. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Dual Lock is pretty cool, but it works so well I've found it annoying for things that will be stuck together and taken apart frequently. But if you're fastening things that you'll leave stuck together, it's fantastic!
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Small pedal board, cable back to amp and around a handle for strain relief and just a modicum of 'care' in foot placement seem to do the trick for me.
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I loop the cable thru the speaker cab handle.
  17. Mykk

Mykk

+2
  18. nysbob

nysbob

Velcro is pretty amazing stuff. I don't own a class D amp, but if I did, I'd go that route...easy, quick and cheap.
  19. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

What happens if your amp heats up and the glue on the velcro melts....
  20. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Then you are probably using the cheap 'velcro' not the industrial grade Velcro.