Micro/Mini amps that can have the pre-amp fully bypassed.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Asomodai, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Asomodai

Asomodai

Hey guys.

I just had to get rid of my Ampeg PF-500 for some emergency funds until pay day. I loved it because I could fully bypass the preamp on the amp so I can use my Sansamp instead.

Looking at the Mibass and Little Giant and all they appear to have FX returns instead of a dedicated pre-amp in (Though the LG has a Line IN, will that be the same?). I am looking at the cheaper end of the market (Around 200-300) second hand. Need at least 400 watts at 4ohms,

So is there anything out there for that cheap with fully defeatable Pre-amp?

Will be paired with a Barefaced 12T

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Most all amps that I have seen, the effects return bypasses the preamp and was just before the master volume with the exception of MarkBass.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Usually fx return = power amp in.

4. Asomodai

Asomodai

I was hoping for personal experiences or specific information as to which amps FX return went straight to the power section.

I wonder if the Mibass 550 does this...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Are you looking for something that also bypasses the master volume control (post MV)?

If not, then I know that the Aguilar Tone Hammer series amps (350 & 500) and Walter Woods amps meet your needs.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Put it another way, good luck finding one that doesn't. If there is a master volume in between, as most are, turn it full on, problem solved.

9. B-string

Yes that was my point :D! Only company I know of that doesn't is MarkBass.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

11. B-string

VLF and VPF are after the effects return, no way to get direct to the power amp.

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

TH500 has a master volume and that's it when running into the FX return. Lightweight and punchy power section. Great preamp if you want to use it as well!

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Can you not turn off those filters on MB for more or less nil effect?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually you can. And the EQ on at least the LMIII is pretty near flat so it's similar to bypassing.

15. B-string

From what I have read they still have an affect on the signal even full CCW. What I have read could always be incorrect.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well it's still going to go through the filters' processing, which could definitely add a layer of sonic stuff that doesn't need to be there. Couldn't tell you...never did it when I had an LMII.

17. Major Softie

Major Softie

If you are only using it as a power amp, is there a reason you're not considering just getting a power amp? Way more power for way less money is only your local Craigslist away.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

just score a regular power amp and be done with it.

i get that they're gonna be physically bigger, but bridged you'll get way more power out of just about any of them, or with a high-powered one you can use one side for the bass and the other side for something else should the need arise (that's what i do, with an older PLX 3002).

besides, there's lots of nice bass amps out there, but is any MI bass amp company gonna know as much about real solid state amp power as say, QSC?

19. Oobly

Oobly

+1. If you just need a power amp then buy a power amp. Peavey, Crest, Carvin, QSC, Crown, etc.. all good brands which have low cost, lightweight, high power amps in their catalogue. Things to look for when buying a power amp:

1. Input sensitivity, smaller numbers are better = more sensitive.
    2. Power ratings at different loads, can the amp be bridged, etc. Bridging means using both amps of a stereo amp to amplify a single signal so you get LOTS of power, usually into a higher impedance load.

For instance, the Peavey IPR1600 is great value for money and has good input sensitivity (low number, 0.7v IIRC), but it needs a special cable to be bridged. I use a Crown XLS1500 and it is powerful and can be bridged easily, but the input sensitivity is low (high number, 1.4v IIRC), so a sansamp pedal preamp can sound a little "weak" through it.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for at a price that makes you smile :)

20. Asomodai

Asomodai

From a perspective that I am unable to drive and rely on the tube to get me to practices and gigs. I want to keep my rig as small as possible with a decent output. I have owned some great rackable power amps in my time. But I need something much smaller.

21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The answer to your question is the same then. Anything with an FX loop will do exactly what you want. Even a Markbass.

Little Giant seems to have a bit of bad rep around TB so you might steer away from that. Orange lightweights have been blowing up from a run of counterfeit capacitors that slipped in. Ampegs have no transferable warranty and some major teething issues in some models. The list gets smaller....