MICRO-rigs of doom?....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ThumbyAche, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Anybody have any Micro (not Mini) rigs of doom, like maybe for rehearsals, etc? I'm thinking like maybe the micro heads from EA, Eden, Ashdown, Phil Jones, Acoustic Image, etc and paired with a small lightweight cabinet that handles a low B, kind of rig. Please post some idea's or pics. I would like to put one together for small rehearsals instead of lugging my other gear around. This would be for acoustic rehearsals or lower volume drums/percussion kind of jams.

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

I have the EA Micro 300/Wizzy 10. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND A SETUP THIS SMALL THAT SOUNDS THIS BIG!!!!!! I had some concerns about the Wizzy 10's ability to handle low B...........MY DOUBTS HAVE BEEN OBLITERATED!! EA may not be breaking the laws of physics-but they are bending them like never before!!!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

maestrovert likes this.
  3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I really like the form factor of the Micro 300 but really wish they made it single channel with a similar featureset to the iamp200. Something that small with the nice DI, headphone out and aux in would have made it an instant purchase for me. :(

4. ThumbyAche

I'm thinking maybe the Markbass F1 paired with my EA CCL-112L might be nice..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RADUB1

RADUB1

I have an Eden WTX260 with an Eden D112xlt...MicroDoom...will post pics tomorrow when I get home...

Add 112 xlt = MiniDoom

Add 112 xlt and 210 xst = Doom

Add 112 xlt and 210 xst and 410xlt = MegaDoom

7. anderbass

anderbass

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I have a WW M-100 with an Epi UL110. Sounds good but don't know about the low B.

9. Nico S

Nico S

I had - got rid of it pretty quickly - Acoustic Image III head, with Bergie 12" with horn - it could handle the low B fine, but not active elctronics - :mad: it HATED my Godin A4 fretless (which is really hot)

10. brisonic

brisonic

micro and doom together, this is a tough thing to imagine. SWR baby blue, 1 IP berg cab?

11. Lobaw

Lobaw

Sound aside, my 20+ year old Polytone Mini Brute combo is probably one of the first mini rigs of doom. I think its something like 120 watts into 1x15. Sorry no pics.

12. ThumbyAche

Man, that sounds like a nice M.R.O.D and I bet that would kick with my F-Basses.

13. KJung

KJung

Here's mine. IMO, this is probably as small and light as you can go and still do a gig. The cab is an LDS 112 coax... 300 watt 8ohm B&C coax 12 and ultra light plywood... weight about 25 pounds or so. Head, the Markbass LMII... under 6 pounds and 300 watts into 8 ohms. It's an amazing little rig... full and fat, and the B&C coax tweeter is among the best I've heard. I had this cab designed for relatively deep low end. It would probably be louder if it was tuned a little higher, which can be easily done.:bassist:

Note: My bad flash photograph makes the colors jump... the blue baffle is quite subtle in 'real life', and the LMII is not quite as 'over the top yellow' either!

[​IMG]

PS... if you are considering the EA300... make sure to do a search first.

14. ThumbyAche

Yah, I did a search and glad I did. Looks like it may be worth waiting a bit on one of the EA300'S.
    That micro-rig you have there is mighty fine.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I use my Yamaha BBT500H and a single BBT110 cab for rehearsals!

16. KJung

KJung

Thanks. The LMII is quite something. Per your interest in the F1, I also have an SD800, and from what I understand, the F1 will be a smaller, lower powered version of the SD800, versus an update on the LMII.

The 800/F1 have class D power amps. The F1's aren't shipping yet, so I haven't heard them, but if they sound like the SD800, they are quite different from the LMII... quicker and tighter, but not nearly as warm and 'musical'. The 800 sounds great, but even though I'm totally into quick, clean and tight, I like the general voicing and slightly more warm sound of the LMII (class A/B power amp). The F1 is actually not much smaller than the LMII (same footprint, and about an inch shorter), same wattage, and I think a couple hundred dollars more.

One thing very cool about the F1 though, is that I'm pretty sure it would fit in the 'laptop' compartment of the Sadowsky Portabag and the InCase Slim bag. That would be pretty cool... having your amp in your gig bag and just carrying a small cab!

17. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

For me that change in size is small but makes a big difference. If it does not fit in my gig bag then I would rather just take my TF.

Justin I hope you get a mini rig so I can come and play it. I am also looking to get a mini rig so I don't have to take my 410 to a practice or small gigs (not a problem right know but will be in the future). I am thinking about the same setups as you but I am also considering the Roland Dbass 210 or other lights combos. Not as flexable as a head cab setup but I do like the simplicity of it. (and being a gear head not being able to just switch out my small cab or get the F1 and then sell it for the micro is maybe a good thing)

18. KJung

KJung

+1... however, the LMII is night and day different from the TF tone... not better or worse overall, but much better for some styles of playing. I can actually get the LMII reasonbly close to the TF tone, but cannot get the deep low end and sizzle that the LMII can do out of the TF.

The fact that you can carry it in a little padded bag at 6 pounds is just a wonderful bonus!

I don't think I would like the F1 much... the massive power of the SD800 seems to 'fix' some of the tone issues that I don't particularly care for with my current cabs. However, I have a presumable wider voices, less mid present 410 on the way that I'm hoping will just kill with the 800:bassist:

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Here in NYC, I essentially all of my gigs with a AI Focus and an Epifani UL112. Handles a low B without a problem and gets louder than I ever need to play it.

20. Edword

Edword

Mine isn't a "rig" in the head-and-cab sense, but I find it useful for dubious basement jams and auditions, where it's good to be able to pack up and leave in a hurry.

[​IMG]

21. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

KJung, that LDS 112 Coax is amazing.

My Epifani UL2-112 does okay with the same head. It was loud enough to compete with a loud drummer for a less volume gig. The drummer could bury me if he played his hardest, but it was enough volume to hear what I wanted come through.

Honestly, I'm not sure i'm digging this whole neo thing. I really am wanting Don to build me a light, smallish, 115 + 6 cab. Two of them actually. :) I love that oldschool fullness sound and these Epifani's are not getting it for me. Its almost like I want HI-FI done oldschool. I think the head is the right match, but getting a cab that has the right blend of mids and highs to a round warm lowend is what i'm looking for.

There are few cabs that can do this, but a Berg NV215 or Accugroove Tri115 might be close. I just want something like the NV215 only modular. My car is a little small for the NV215 yet, and I would still have the mini-rig of doom if needed with the modular approach.