Micro VR/PF350 + which Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Diaz, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Diaz

Diaz

Hello guys!

I intend to buy either the Micro VR or the PF350 (most likely the pf350 after reading the tone is pretty much the same, but with 150w more!). The thing is, i don't know with which cab should i pair it with.

The use that would be given is for bars and some restaurants playing jazz standards and either 70s rock or Kings of Leon/Jack White/contemporary rock.

I used to use my BA115 (100w, 1x15 iirc) until it broke and i took it to 2 different engineers and neither of them could get it back to its golden age. The BA115 was good enough for almost all live situations i played in. Living in Mexico, the audio standard for the regular gig might not be as high as in the USA :p and most of the time the drumkick wouldn't be microphoned, and if my amp had any more low end the kick would sound like paper in some venues.

Ampeg has the SVT210AV for $300. From what i've researched, that seems to be one of the best prices for a 2x10. Would that be enough?

I did my homework and found these, too (that get along with my budget):

TC Electronic BC212

Gallien-Krueger 410 MBE II

Hartke XL Series 410XL, although the paper cone version is 50 bucks cheaper?
    This one

Acoustic B410mkII

and, the SVT-210AV

I don't want to break the bank. Ideally, something below 400 would be better but i don't want to get something not dependable or not being enough for the job. Like i said, a BA115 would suffice in about 3/4 of scenarios.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post! :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you would really dig the 210av in that case. It's a medium duty cab but it puts out at least as much as the BA115 can put out. Doesn't go quite as low as the BA115, but for me, a little bass knob boost takes care of that. Alternately, you might enjoy the PF115he or PF210he, which are heavier duty cabs, and they go lower and costs $400. But I'm a huge fan of the 210av's personally.
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you want tight and punchy, the 210AV is awesome. And you can always pick up another one later and have a really great stack with double the volume. If you like a deeper tone, the PF115he would be pretty sweet (and you could mount the 350 to the lid and have that whole fliptop thing going on). Both those cabs are great for the money.
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

If you're going with a PF-350, pair it with the PF series 2x10. It's a REALLY nice cab, and you can always add a 1x15, another 2x10, or a 4x10 down the road. :) The 2x10, like the 1x15, is a flip-top, too. :D
  5. dls59

dls59

Definitely the SVT210AV cabs.
  6. Diaz

Diaz

Welll it seems i'll be getting the svt210 then, haha.Thanks everyone!
  7. dls59

dls59

If you can, splurge for a second SVT210AV cab. Significantly improves the sound when you stack them. I cannot explain the physics, but the sound reinforcement nerds can. :D
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I can explain the physics...bigger is better for bass always ;)
  9. headband

headband Supporting Member

I use two SVR210AV cabs for clubs with a small stage - stacked vertically the stage footprint is super small, and they sound great. I use the micro VR head with them, and for small clubs power is adequate. Incredible tone. Ampeg nailed it with this combo IMHO.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

I also have a Micro VR head and an SVT210AV cabinet (with another one in transit as I type). I'm very pleased with the volume and sound quality, and extremely happy with the weight (or lack thereof).
  11. awilkie84

The Micro VR is nice, as are the cabs, but if you'll need anything beyond moderate power...it's not the right head/cab to go with.
  12. Jerryr63

Jerryr63

I would definitely recomend the PF-350 and eventually two 210AVs.

It makes an extremely versatile setup. You'll probably find one cab enough for practices.... or you are damaging your hearing needlessly at practices :)

I practice at four different locations..... I leave an 210AV at one place, I have an SVT15E at another location and my second 210AV travels between the other two places.

Ya, all this practicing and not too much gigging. Only gigged twice since getting the two 210AVs. Loved the sound with a PF-500 pushing then. Second time was in a small club (100 people) and having the 210's stacked vertically really helped me hear myself since I was stand very close to the amp.... otherwise the sound would have been blowing between my knees :)....
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The SVT210AV or a 4 ohm Avatar B212.
  14. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

Can you get 210AVs with black cloth instead of the silver-blue?
  15. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for the 210av! And a double thumbs up for 2 of em!
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope. But you can get the black cloth and replace the silver, though why you'd want to do that, I'm not sure ;)
  17. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

I just prefer the way the black ones look :)
  18. awilkie84

But, why would you pair a PF-350 with 2 210AVs instead of 2 PF210 cabs?? Just seems silly to limit yourself to 2 teeny cabs.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The PF210he's are tuned lower than the 210av's and some of us prefer the higher tuning, some of us aren't looking to be crazy loud, and though it's not a high priority for me, the 210av weighs almost half as much as the PF210.
  20. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Resurrecting this...

Anyone switch from the Micro VR with 210AV to a PF350/500?

I'm contemplating switching. I'm a fan of the VR, but kinda just wanting something else. I would probably keep the av cab, and just swap the head.

Any major tonal differences? Or just more power?

It's really just my home practice rig, and for really small shows.

Also, does anyone know if the feet on the PF350 match up with the recessed areas on the top of the 210AV cab?

Last question, one major dislike of the Micro VR is if I go DI from the back of the head, it bypasses my cabinet so I have zero stage volume. Does the PF do this as well?

Thanks.