1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Micro VR tone settings?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bmb73, Aug 15, 2013.

1. bmb73

bmb73

What do you all use on your Micro VR as far as settings? I have had it for awhile, and I am constantly playing with the settings because I cannnot seem to find a good tone.

Mine are; Gain-10, Bass-3, Mid-Flat, Treble- Flat, Volume-1

Playing through a 75 AVRI Jazz Bass, Neck p/u at about 70%, Bridge p/u at about 85%, and tone at 100%. Oh yeah, I'm playing Flats.

Thanks in advance for answering my stupid question, but this has been giving me fits. I'm looking for a straight ahead bass tone, everytime I play through it sounds really muddy and not well-defined.
  2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

First you might try lowering the gain and increasing the volume?
  3. bmb73

bmb73

I tried setting everything flat and going off my bass. Thanks for the input. I've only been playing for about three years, so I have my moments of stupidity as far as gear lol
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

^This.
    I used mine with master volume most of the way up, and the gain somwhere in the 10'clock position. I also run my mids turned up nearly as much as the bass knob.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, your gain is crazy. So are your pickup settings. Every bass I've ever played with passives sounds better with at least one pickup up all the way.
  6. bmb73

bmb73

Playing around with it now. Dont know why I got so wrapped around using the gain
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Wow, yeah. You should have full volume on your bass, most especially with a lower wattage head like this. My MicroVR sounds fantastic with everything at noon :)

As for the gain/volume settings, this video is a good overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arw1_1SeARw

Conversely, on the MicroVR the Gain can be used to control some amount of character "growl"; leave it low for a cleaner sound, turn it up (well, not all the way up) for a slightly dirtier Ampeg tone. Use your master for overall volume based on the Gain setting. I would also recommend starting with the other knobs at noon and adjusting those to taste after you have gain and volume set. I tend to lower the bass a touch and boost the mid level for a rockin tone.
  8. zachoff

zachoff

I put the bass and treble at 12:00, mid at 2:00, gain between 10:00 and 12:00, volume as needed. I almost always have all of my pickups at 100% volume except for a P/J. In that case I have the P at 100% and the J dialed in just a little... Maybe 20-30%