Micromark 801...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hennessybass, Mar 19, 2014.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

So, I go into Guitar Center to buy a 3u rack, which they did not have, and I spy this tiny MarkBass combo. The Micromark 801. 8" speaker and 45 watts. I just had to try it out, so I grab an AM standard Fender Jazz, and start rocking.

It sounded pretty good, and had a surprising amount of volume. :eek: I ran the volume up to about3/4, and tried to get it to fart out, but it just sounded pretty good. So I get to thinking...

First off, I have no illusions that this tiny rig can handle much or keep up with a drummer, but I do a weekly gig in a hotel lobby that is very quiet. Two acoustic guitars and me. Guitars and singers run thur a tiny pa system, and we play quiet.

Currently using a TH350 and an Ampeg SVT210 cab. With gain on 9:00 and master on 9:00 on the TH, I have more than enough volume, and sometimes have to roll the vol down on my bass.

Kind of thinking the MM801 would be a cool addition to the stable and would actually get a lot of use at that weekly 3hr gig. Also been rehearsing with a new band that is pretty quiet. Has a drummer, but he is playing brushes. Thinking I might make use of it there as well.

Pretty cool little amp.

2. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I've owned one for 2 years already and it's the best and most reliable practice combo I ever had. And this one be connected to 8 Ohm cab and be even louder. I do that with my NY604 extencion cab sometimes and MM801 sounds very loud with it.

3. hazmatt

hazmatt

i've also thought about getting one for similarly described uses, but ultimately found a used minimark (602 speaker config, 150 watts) for the same price as a new 801 and couldn't turn it down. if you have any doubts about the micromark being loud enough, maybe try finding a used minimark

4. 70sJazz

70sJazz Supporting Member

I bought one from GC but ended up returning it. I already have the original Minimark & was thinking this would be even more compact. It was great by itself, good enough for small gigs even.

However, the issue I ran into is I needed a tweeter and with the optional tweeter box, it had a little more hiss than the Minimark's tweeter does. Perhaps a little picky, you might not notice unless you A/B'd the two. I thought that the crossover (in the tweeter?) rather than integrated into the cab might have been a possible reason for the additional tweeter hiss. So I kept my Minimark.

But then I ended up getting an AC101 combo because I've been starting to learn guitar & this one is the most versatile combo I've had. It costs more than the 801+tweeter box but in another league I suppose and it was worth it to me.

They don't advertise it as being (recommended?) for EB, but so far I like the tone of it with EB better than I did the Micromark 801 & it seems to fill the room a lot more than the 801 even though it's only a little bit larger. I can't imagine how playing EB through it would "hurt it" & so far it's been keeping up just fine.

I like the reassurance that I can plug almost anything into this single combo (el & ac guitar, bass, mic) and it's going to sound appropriate. It has built in chorus & reverb, dual inputs, FX loop, phase & feedback suppression which are nice bonuses. Then it has the tweeter attenuator which is rare & often complained about being missing on many of the Markbass combos! Good for turning off the tweeter for overdrive effects.

IMO, it has a slightly warmer tone & flatter response than the 801, which could be a good or bad thing depending on taste...

I've been holding onto the Minimark too, because I really like the sound of it as well in a different way & it stacks neatly on my NY604.

In summary, I did like the 801 overall. It wasn't "bad" by any means. I can't think of anything else on the market like it, and I might have kept it if I had no use for a tweeter. But I ended up liking the AC101 & original Minimark better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hennessybass

cool comments guys. Good to know that it is not just a "home practice amp" only.

Some of the slightly bigger combos like a minimark are cool, but I feel like at a point, I already have a pretty small rig. The micro is cool because it is SO small.

7. Dos Inus

Dos Inus Supporting Member

I thought the same as you and i bought one two years ago. Great amp, and light! I found that it works great in small venues with boomy acoustics, where you can position it so that the "negative bass" emanating from behind the amp bounces off of a wall, that will help with projection of your sound. It will easily keep up with a couple of acoustic guitars at a gig like that. It sounds great with an acoustic bass too, with small venues where you're just trying to be heard through the unamplified acoustic guitars.

However, if the acoustics of the room is dead and / or the room is bigger than your typical hotel lobby, stick with your usual rig. As an alternative, the Markbass Players School amp is compact and light, and may be a better combo amp for your small venues.

8. bmc

bmc

I've been intrigued by that little amp and had been toying with getting one. I started playing acoustic guitar a couple of years ago and needed an acoustic amp. I bought a Schertler Jam 150 Pro which is also sold as a keyboard amp. It has 1-8" and a tweeter, powerd by 150 watt amp. It has a built in four channel mixer.

It's been my quiet gigging amp for two years. I run my mic through it and my bass. The acoustic guitarist that I play with as a duo, bought one last summer. No need for PA.

Having gigged since the days of needing 2-15's and a 100 watt head, I'm still stunned at the quality and warmth you can get from a single 8" speaker for bass.

I'm going to go and try the Micromark this week for the fun of it. Good to read such good reviews of it.

9. hennessybass

Great feedback guys. Went to GC to try it out again this weekend, but it was sold, so no dice.

Still worried that the little guy will get lost in the room... they have a new 2x8 combo out that looks kind of cool as well.

10. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    TC Electronic has a BH250-208 combo.. It might fit the bill as well. It's darn small.. 250 watts with an additional 8 ohm cab.. it may be 150-180 with the built in 8s.

I posted tons about it. I can't quite get myself to pick one up.. but I've played it a bunch of times at GC and really like it. Might be worth trying out if you are not set on a MarkBass.. ( nothing wrong with them.. just another option ).

11. hennessybass

Thanks. I just sent a PM to snatch up a MM801 in the classifieds here.

Can't wait to get it, and hope it fits the bill. I'll report back.

12. hennessybass

Well,, I got the MM801 and used it last night on my hotel gig. Easy and awesome. Handled the gig like a champ. Might have been the easiest load in of my life.

Had the volume and the scoop filter both set at about half way, plugged in my Jack Casady, and that was it. Better tone than the TH/SVT 210 rig, and plenty of volume. Had the volume on the Casady at about half, and was actually able to use the tone knob on the bass to dial in some different sounds. I think the SVT cab had such a baked in tone that the tone control on the Casady was pretty useless.

Really happy with this little guy.

Here's a pic of the MM in action...
    [​IMG]

13. Dos Inus

Congrats! I play my Breedlove Studio acoustic bass through it and this little amp is a perfect fit.

14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I was looking at one of those to use as a monitor.. That and a Promethean 110, a Hartke A35, a Peavy 110 Max or a SWR La10 I found in mint condition.. Both the Peavy and the Max were 100W.. The Promethean was 180... I eventually got a Tech 21 Bass Power Wedge 60 which is a powered speaker a and I will be using my Zoom B3 as a preamp. I will review it when i get it and use it. I was looking at the MM but it was a little more than I wanted to spend and it was not a wedge. MarkBass was the first Micro that I looked at.. very good stuff.

15. hennessybass

I bet the micro might bee a little small for what you were looking for. Would be nice if the MM801 had a little kick stand.

16. jswigal

jswigal

I used the MicroMark 801 with an extension cab for some small and medium gigs. It did alright, and the tone was great, but alas; it just doesn't have the power for larger stages or a heavy handed drummer. Wonderful for acoustic sets and small rooms though!

17. hennessybass

Right on. Wonderful little combo for some things. Probably my favorite LITTLE combo amp. You just have to take it for what it is.

You need the right tool for the job, and the MM801 is a very nice tool.

18. Dos Inus

I think MarkBass sells a foldable wedge that tips the amp up for use as a monitor. Not sure how big that wedge is, though.