1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Microphone w/ mb150 for announcing during gig?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Fat bob, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Fat bob

Fat bob

Hello TBers,
    I have been leading several small combo gigs recently. I think it would be nice to introduce the band, announce set breaks and mention the tip jar with a microphone. Is it possible to run this through my dependable GK mb150? Would I need a separate preamp? I know this is probably 101 stuff, but... Your responses are much appreciated.

2. rasbass

rasbass

To answer your question "yes."

I was in the same situation when we played where there was no PA and we had enough of an audience where I would have to shout - which happens occasionally.

Since the combo amp has only one 1/4" input, I used a very small mixer (Behringer Micro MX400; it's powered, but no other pre-amp), and a transformer (low z to hi z). I found a screw on mic holder that attached to my music stand, and I used a mic with an on-off switch.

The mixer needs to run both the bass and the mic, but then I could balance the volumes of bass and vocal. It would suck for someone trying to sing, but sufficed for announcements, introductions of the band and of course the subtle but persistent reminder that we did accept gratuities.

Hope that helps.

3. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson

I've been using a Harbinger powered 12 I got from Guitar Center with 2 mic inputs and one or two line inputs. I can announce with a mic, play set break music from my phone, and with a HPF in line, my bass sounds shockingly good through the line input. It was $100 new. My 200mb stays at home when I use it.

4. Fat bob

Fat bob

Thank you Rasbass and Dylan for your responses. The $100 option seems appealing. I guess with the separate head it's bit easier- I'd have to bring combo + Harbinger. I just keep thinking how many nights of tips I'd have to give up to break even...
    Thank you gentlemen.

5. Register to disable this ad