Microphonic pickups in my Yamaha TRB 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chirro, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Chirro

Chirro

Hello. Recently I have purchased (second hand) my third Yamaha bass. Now I have a BBNEII, an Attitude Standard 5 and lastly a wonderful TRB 5 first generation. Although the bass was made in 1995, is in absolute mint condition.

The only problem detected is about certain microphonic quality of the pickups. They amplify every little tap I do with my hands on the body, even the sound and squeaks produced by the movement of the strap. This is something that is not happening in the other basses,

I’d like to know if I can make something to solve it. Can I repair the pickups? Do I have to buy new ones? Are there any equivalent pickups (size and sound) that I can use?

I will thank you very much if you can help me with this uncomfortable situation.

Cheers.

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Afaik, th yamaha trb 5 series have piezo elements in the bridge - maybe that's your problem??
    My bass teacher had a trb5 back that time and he had a switch (or knob??) to control the piezo elements

3. Chirro

Chirro

Hello vbchaos and thanks for your quick response. My bass doesn't have piezo pickups. Those are in TRB 5 PII and mine is TRB 5 only.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I have no solutions to that issue but I did read a review a while ago and that problem was
    mentioned by the reviewer.
    Someone here on TB is bound to have some info to help you.
    That is still a great bass.
    LOL

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I had the same problem with a TRB5. It wasn't actually that the pickups were really microphonic. They had just come loose from the pickup covers and so the whole pickup was vibrating. All it needed was the pickup covers removed and the pickups hot-glued to the inside of the covers.

7. Chirro

Chirro

Interesting. I will try this.

8. Chirro

Chirro

Hello again, the problem is solved. the name of the solution is wax potting. There is not more microphonic problem now.

Thanks for your helping.

9. Meddle

Meddle

I'm glad to hear you sorted the problem potting pickups. I've done this a few times to different pickups and always happy with the results.

I'm surprised when I read (usually on Les Paul forums) that people de-pot their pickups.