Microphonic Quarter Pounder Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SteveD, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SteveD

SteveD

Hi, thanks for reading. I have a 2011 Jazz 24 with Bassline Quarter Pounders. I rest my thumb on top of the neck pickup for an anchor. My thumb pad rests against the E string. When I pluck the A string, my plucking finger then slaps against the E string and I get a short "AANK" sound almost like a fret buzz, but it comes from the pickup.

This only happens if my thumb is in contact with the pickup. Just tapping on the pickups with my fingernail makes a lot of racket, even if not plugged in. They sound hollow.

Any ideas for a fix? I've used the pup for a rest for many years, hate to try to give that up.

Thanks!
  2. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Try adding more foam underneath to anchor the coil firmer into the plastic pickup cover. It sounds like that might be the problem. How easy is it to move the pickup magnets around if you try? If they can move freely, then your going to have your pickups acting like a noise amplifier anytime they move in relation to the strings. You want those coils to not be able to move at all otherwise they act like a microphone.

If that's not the problem, there is a chance the pickup potting has failed. If that's the case it's time to call Seymour Duncan.
  3. SteveD

SteveD

Magnets don't seem to move but the entire pickup moves side to side and up and down easily, with a padded but very mushy feel. My old Jazz, they are like rocks, no movement at all. On my MIM jazz they barely move.

I think you've got the right idea, thanks!
  4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Microphonic Quarter Pounder sounds like a great jam band or a terrible sandwich.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    why not both! built in merchandising :)