1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Microsoft ends security updates for XP 4/8

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Solarmist, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

How will this affect the non-business home user?

Won't anti-virus or anti-malware/spyware programs be effective anymore or must we upgrade to Windows 7?

2. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

Great time to look at Linux. Have you? Zorin OS and Linux Mint are great places to start.

3. Solarmist

^ I wanted to stay with Windows because I know my way around - I have XP at home, but Win7 at work.

4. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Anti-virus would still be effective if it's a non-Microsoft product.

The real issues surround OS exploits. Microsoft actively patches any newly-discovered exploits that renders malicious software ineffective. Unfortunately, without new security updates, your computer will remain vulnerable to these exploits and if anti-virus scanners cannot pick up the software in question, you will remain vulnerable.

Some OS exploits don't even require you to download malicious software. Some websites can carry malicious code and can remotely access exploits to take control of your machine. Microsoft work proactively to prevent this from happening and patch quickly if one is discovered. Without security updates, this will no longer be the case.

XP - if run in standard settings - has had issues with security going back a very long way. Probably the most effective way of preventing issues short of upgrading is to put your standard user account as a non-administrator. If your account is set up as an administrator account, it is running with root access and will not need to ask for root access if something malicious decides to install itself on your machine.

Other operating systems - including Windows Vista, 7, 8 and OS X run with reduced privileges and ask to elevate privileges when installing software or changing any OS-critical settings. XP does not do this - you can do it manually. If you run as a reduced user then each time you want to change a setting or install software, you simply have to log in as the administrator and then log out immediately after you have made the changes you want to make.

I will say that XP is over twelve years old. Vista was released in 2006 and there have been two versions since then. I really would recommend upgrading.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If you have Windows 7 at work, it's probably best to upgrade to Windows 7 at home.

7. Solarmist

I just called the computer store I have build my computers, and they want $235 for a clean install of Win7 if there aren't any hardware issues. I wasn't expecting this.

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Whatever you do, avoid Windows 8. I was quite happily running XP and 7 on our laptops at home, and then we had a break in and both laptops went missing. We claimed on the insurance and bought new laptops, but unfortunately it was a couple of weeks after Windows 8 was forced upon the world and it proved impossible to find a new laptop that didn't come with 8. The metro screen is the most annoying thing in the world. Apparently Microsoft dug deep into the code and removed all of the code for the start menu so that people couldn't even activate it by changing the code, and then they replaced it with the awful metro screen. I just don't understand why they couldn't give you the option to pick which one you wanted. Because of my hatred of the metro screen I've been forced to have shortcuts to everything I want to use on the desktop or in the quick launch bit. So irritating.

Anything that you launch from the metro screen opens in a complete full screen edgeless mode as if you were using a tablet - presumably because the system was designed to run on a tablet. I have no real issues with edgeless windows, but the major problem is that on a tablet you would close the window down by swiping from the top down, which means that on a PC you have to click at the top of the window and drag it down to the bottom.

Other minor issues are that there is no way of changing the colour scheme of the metro screen, which means that on the occasions when you can't avoid using it you are forced to look at it's ridiculous green/blue/purple hues. Probably fine if you are a 12 year old girl using it on a tablet, but not what I want personally. I wouldn't mind that being the default colour if you could change the colour scheme, but thats not an option.

Supposedly they are bringing out an update which will add a button where the start menu used to be, but all it's going to do is open the metro screen. I know that there are aftermarket programs out there which create a start menu, but it really grates on me that I have to do that in order to make Windows act like a PC OS rather than a tablet OS.

[/rant]

TL;DR - I hate Windows 8.

9. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Do you need to keep your data?

I don't know how much Windows 7 costs to buy for a home user - or even if you still can (legally) but there's no reason why you can't buy a new HDD, buy an enclosure for the old OS, install 7 yourself on the new HDD and have the old one set up as an external drive.

Windows 8 is fine once you get used to it. I had to use it on a work laptop and with 8.1 returning the Start button, it'll be much better. You can set it to boot straight to the desktop and you never have to see the 'Metro' screen - plus, you're going to receive updates for years afterwards. I think Windows 7 is the best Windows OS but it's been out for nearly five years.

For the record, I don't run Windows at home but use it at work and have it installed on my old laptop as a secondary OS.

10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Not sure where to start with Happynoj's post, but it's chock full of inaccuracies.

Installing Win7: The Pro version is only $150, and doing just a blank install (no backup/restore etc.) take about 30 minutes give or take. It's something you can easily do. Or heck, bring it along with you to the GTG and I'll do it for you while we're there.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It takes 2 minutes to get rid of Metro and go back to your usual Start menu on 8.1, too.

12. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

Zorin OS is designed to appeal to Windows 7 users. I runs a lot more efficiently than Windows 7. If you have older hardware and have basic needs (if you are running a DAW, Photoshop, etc, never mind) and don't want to give MS more money, try one of the Linux alternatives - they're predominately free. For most of them, you can download a disc image, burn it, then boot off the disc and see if you like it without changing anything on your hard drive. End of free, open source Linux fan boy rant . . .

13. Happynoj

Happynoj

Please enlighten me. Any information that can make my computer less annoying will be gratefully received.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    That's too close to the price of a new computer to make the upgrade worthwhile. You can buy Win 7 Home Premium Update for less than 100 bucks. The installation process is not too painful, even if you're not a computer jock. The old computer might need a memory upgrade to run Win7 efficiently. How old is it?

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

When I first sat down in front of a Win8 PC I disliked it. After a little time learning the new interface and features, I loved it. I don't even use my Win7 VM anymore. I remember feeling the same way the first time I used a Mac, Linux (KDE), and even Win7.

In Win8 instead of clicking start, programs, then navigating to the folder of the app I want to launch, I click the Windows key, start typing the app name, and the executable pops up for me to launch. I dig it.

If I don't want to type, I click the Windows key to get to the Metro interface, then scroll with my mouse through the apps until I find the one I want to launch. No biggie.

-Mike

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    DOS Lives. :hyper:

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Windows has been this way since 1995, Metro or not. :)
    If you press the Windows key, the Start menu pops out and if you start typing it goes directly into the app search window.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Yes, this 'new' feature of Win8 has been around.

I don't remember much about computers before Win7 anymore, so I'll take your word on the 1995 part.

-Mike

20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This could be a pain at work, a lot of our equipment has proprietary software which only works on XP and it needs to be networked. (heck, we some that only work on Win2000 and some on some old Mac OS9 G4s, though they don't need networked).

I still use Windows XP at home, when I put my current PC together in '08 I decided against Vista. I should have upgraded to Windows 7 when it came out. I'm thinking about putting a new machine together so will probably put Windows 8 on it (my gf, brother and parents have laptops with Win8.1, I like it).

See if you can find someone with MSDN access, they might be able to get you a free copy in a more legit fashion.

21. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I have TechNet (well, for the next few months until it's killed) - the same rules apply to MSDN as TechNet. You can't really "share" your access or keys from it, at least, not legitimately.