1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mid 80's MIJ Fender Jazz Special vs. G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luv4Bass, May 5, 2013.

1. Luv4Bass

Luv4Bass

Hello everyone... Just wanted some opinions regarding made in Japan mid-80s Fender Jazz Specials and G&L L2000 or L1000 basses. Have narrowed down the choice for my next bass to these basses; I have played both and like the feel and sound of both... curious what others think... thanks for any help.
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I have a Jazz Special, Great bass, nice neck, Tons of mids and sits great in a mix. Just bought a Spector (my dream bass) so its for sale if your interested. I havent play the G&L yet but it looks like I will be getting one in the next few weeks on a trade.
  3. Luv4Bass

Luv4Bass

Thanks for the input; so far, everyone I've spoken to has had possitive things to say about the MIJ Jazz Specials... I can usually find them for a couple hundred $ cheaper than the G&Ls also... not really a major factor though...
  4. brenner182

brenner182

I had a jazz special. It fell out the back of a truck and was never seen again. It was my favorite bass ever.
  5. Luv4Bass

Luv4Bass

So sorry to hear that. I have never lost a bass or had one stolen or anything of that sort... I cannot imagine how horrible a feeling it must be. I can only imagine it being comparative to losing a child or a loved one... I know how deep and personal each relationship has been for me and my basses... you have my condolences.
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I would take an L-2000 over a J bass any day of the week. I like a more aggressive sounding bass and I like having more options for different tones on tap than what you get with a J bass.

If you want a J bass sound, you can always add the single coil option to the L-2000 (if it doesn't already have it) for the cost of a $10 switch and a little soldering.
  7. mcm

mcm

Apples and oranges.
  8. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

I have a Jazz Special. I like it a lot. I can get a nice low action, and it plays great. Mine sounds more aggressive than I anticipated. It is all stock and it growls a little.

I am not sure it could ever be my "only" bass, but at that price it is awesome.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

I think you'll find both to be extremely well-made and versatile basses. I know that doesn't help you to narrow it down, but I only have good things to say about both.

The G&L L2000 will give you a wider range of tones, but you certainly wouldn't suffer with what's available on the Fender! How wide a neck do you like? The Fender will be narrower.
  10. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

You realize that a Jazz Bass Special really isn't a Jazz bass?

I own two JBS's. I like these basses so much, that I sold one, and bought it back from the guy I sold it to.

They have a rather unique tone that is mid-heavy. It may sound nasally, but it really cuts through a band mix. Add a chorus pedal, and you have Duff nirvana.

My twins:
    [​IMG]

I have heard that the 1984-1986 versions (necks finished in black) are a tad better. However, I have no proof to sunbstantiate this.
  11. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

Bassgod76 has the tone nailed. I have a black one without the painted neck. Mine has a different bridge too. I have the TC chorus with the Duff tone print and it is "Rocket Queen" all the way.
  12. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

i've dabbled with some G&L's and i own 3 MIJ Fenders from the 80's, two being Power Jazzes which is basically a jazz special, but active. I'd say go with the Fender... but I'm no boby.
  13. brenner182

brenner182

I want anoth jazz special. :(
  14. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

the g&l sb-2 is a pj like the power jazz
  15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    oranges are better