1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mid 80's MIJ Squier P bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

I haven't played BG in years, and wanted to get a fun bass to get back into it with. A friend picked up an 80's MIJ Squier Precision for me cheap, and I just brought it home. It plays and sounds great, and is so ugly that only a mother could love it - a perfect vibe for me. "Roadworn" but by life rather than a factory. My question is, if I want to replace a part like a pickguard, how specifically do I need to shop for it? Is there a standard template for pickup placement and screw holes, etc., or do I need incredibly specific info on the make and year of the bass? (sorry for the newb question, or if it's the wrong forum). Can't wait to get started!
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

i think i used a guard sold as a mim replacement and i dont remember having any issues with it on my mij squier P.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Some early MIJ Squiers are basically Fenders with Squier decals but they did use different parts over the years. What year was your Squier made? Do you have a pic or serial #?
  4. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Thats probably a great one
  5. Davo-London

Davo-London

Over the years there have been small changes to the screw positions. However, it's still probably easiest to buy one and try it and then if it doesn't fit go from there.

PS: my 64P's pickguard is so warped and shrunk that it has rippled surface!

Davo
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Serial No. is SQ43477, which the Fender support site says is 1983-84. No pics yet, but I could snap one in a day or two. It's kind of a frankenbass to look at. Somebody did a homemade "natural" refinish job on the body complete with runs, drips and errors. The pickguard is currently white with a couple of corners missing, bowed and warped in several places, and the knobs are two different colors. But it feels good to me, and sounds like a P bass should, so...
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Oh it's an early SQ congrats! These are awesome basses and all I play for a P bass today. The slim necks are fun to play on and they are built as good as any MIA I have played or owned.
  8. lowend1

lowend1

That's an "SQ" series Squier. I have one - great bass. Not as nice as the "JV" series, which used some USA components and had a more vintage vibe, but still super sweet. Due to the many variations at Fender and beyond, you will likely have to do some tweaking with pickguards - unless one of the manufacturers already has a template for the SQ. Use the cheapest one you can find and see how close you are to a fit. Count the mounting screw holes in the body, as this can be somewhat of a guide. guitarfetish.com is a good source to start with.
  9. wraub

wraub

I have an SQ P bass (and an SQ Jazz, too) and I have several pickguards for the P. All but one are Fender parts, one is from Allparts.
    Each of the guards fits perfectly, all holes match, no modding needed.

A pic or 12 would be nice... ;)

wraub
  10. lowphatbass

SQ's can be really good. I just stuck an SQ Squier Bullet neck on one of my MIJ Fender P-basses and it sounds great. Honestly, a standard 13 hole P-bass guard should fit just fine. Your bass should also have a pencil date on the butt of the neck if you were to take it apart...most JV's and SQ's do. Congrats Chris, that's a sleeper!
  11. ale29

ale29

On a side note (hope the OP doesn't mind the little hijack), is there any Fender 13 hole gold anodized pickguard available around? That's for a MIJ P too.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Thanks, guys! I'll try to post some pics when i get a chance to take them. You may need to cover your eyes, but thankfully not your ears. So If I'm hearing the advice correctly, I could go to a site like this one ( http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bpickguard_pregenuine.htm ) and pick anything that says it will fit a Squier, like the bottom left and right on that page, correct? When i went to the Fender site, they were very careful to say "will not fit Squier basses" on most of the pick guards they had.

EDIT: I'll add the real pics later, but it looks an awful lot like the one pictured below, except with a messed up white pick guard and multicolored knobs. It does have a rosewood board.
    [​IMG]

EDIT 2: come to think of it, my friend sent me a crappy cell phone pic of it:
    [​IMG]

It's out of focus and you can't see detail, but since you wanted pics...

Attached Files:

13. wraub

wraub

I have one, got it on CL after some searching.

Perhaps contact Fender directly...
    [edit] Actually, just got off the phone with Mike at Fender, was told that Fender does not offer a 13 hole ano guard.
    Makes me wonder where the one I have came from...

wraub
  14. wraub

wraub

I think you will find that the SQ instruments are very similar, if not exactly the same, as, any typical Fender instruments.

The MIJ JV and SQ stuff was built using original Fender blueprints IIRC.

Again, all my pickguards (save one) are Fender parts and fit perfectly.

Yours looks a lot like mine (also a DIY refin) but mine has an ash body and the aforementioned ano guard.

wraub
  15. wraub

wraub

From what I have seen/read, the JVs definitely have a pencil-written date on the butt of the neck, but SQs seem to be hit or miss. For example, my J has one, but my P doesn't.

wraub
  16. hardtwister

hardtwister

Congrats! Great bass to dig back in with. You're buddy did you a solid.
  17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yea they are all MIA specs so the guards will fit. The JV's were exact MIA specs but the SQ's were designed in Japan.

I have 3, two 83' SQ 3TS P and a 84' Bullet P bass. The necks have the pencil dates at the heal. The necks are really great on these basses super fast.

It looks like the OP SQ was stripped might of been 3TS and its a shame cuz those finishes are really nice, very deep with good grain showing thru.
  18. lowphatbass

Don't order a guard that says it's specifically for Squier, get a Fender guard and it should fit.
  19. Chris Fitzgerald

Good advice on the parts. I was really just looking for a regular black plastic pick guard, so i'll probably try a Fender one first and get a couple of silver knobs while I'm at it.
  20. wraub

wraub

Apparently, mine came from a Fender Precision Special.

wraub