Mid level 6 string poll. I just can't decide.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Jan 11, 2014.

Which mid level 6 string.

1. ESP B-416SM

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Cort A6

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Ibanez BTB 776PB

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Spector Legend Classic 6

19 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Other (plz suggest in thread)

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. Systolic

Systolic

I've been going back and forth on these few basses for quite some time and I just cannot make up my mind.

I've had two 6'ers before. A Peavey Grind BXP. It was uncomfortable in every way, shape and form.

Also a Schecter Studio 6. Great bass, but just couldn't fall in love. Not sure why. String spacing was a little tight for me and the body was a bit too small, which led to some neck dive.

I'd really like something with at least 17mm spacing at the bridge. And good lord is it usually hard to find out that information.

I just really need some outside perspective on these, maybe even some first hand experience. I'm a big fan of "bang for your buck" type basses. Always up for other suggestions too. New or used. Needs to stay under 1k.

2. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

As a keyboard player, I've played a few time with a guy playing the Cart A6. Sound great!

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I'd second the Carvin, but I don't think you'll get the string spacing you're looking for.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    They're about 16.5 or 5/8" at the bridge. Tight but in the same league as some of the Ibanez basses.
    Speaking of Ibanez, this little import looks promising:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR256PW/

7. Systolic

Systolic

I've heard such good thing about Carvins. It's a shame I just can't get over their aesthetics. Worst mix of boring and ugly IMHO.

8. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'm a Spector guy at heart and think you can get quality at any price point with this company. Several guys that own USA Spectors gig and tour with Legend's, I'd really suggest checking one out locally if at all possible.

9. Systolic

Systolic

That's one of the couple reasons i usually avoid Ibanez. Only reason the BTB is in the hunt, is because I believe it to be a bit wider.

10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
  11. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Can't go wrong with a used Carvin

12. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat my friend. Finding a bass that has 17.5mm or 18mm spacing that also matches my tonal and aesthetic tastes has been a long, losing battle. MM Bongo 6 has wider spacing (18mm), but the looks and the tone aren't quite what I like (they're very tonally versatile, though). Carvin, Ibanez, ESP, & Schecter all have 16.5mm spacing. I'm not sure what the spacing on the MTD KZ6 is, but you might want to check it out. Yamaha TRB6 spacing is 19mm, which is too wide for me.

Personally, I've just given in to the fact that I'll probably have to get a custom built to get exactly what I want.

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

I was just looking at a Peavey Grind 6 and I have to agree with your assessment in every way! Funny that they get good reviews here.

Same for Schecter. I've played a few and they are just gorgeous looking, but there is just something, I don't know what, about them that just doesn't float my boat and that actually does surprise me.

For wider spacing Yamaha is a good thing to look at. I've nearly bought two of them (need more basses like a hole in the head) and own a couple Yamaha guitars. Always excellent bang for buck and wide spacing.

As for what I've got in bang for buck department? Would be my SX fender clone 6 strings (own three...flats, rounds and fretless) Excellent value for VERY little cash. But may need some tweaks (strings, shielding, setup, maybe high fret or two).

I love Ibanez. sound gear. the BTB are very wll made and good looking basses, but somehow I just can't develop love for them. I love my SR506, however. Dirt cheap and totally amazing fat modern tone. They are the polar opposite of the SX Fender clone 6 string passive thing.

And in the bang for buck dept, be sure to check out any ESP LTD 6ers. I've got a B206SM (spalted maple over ash) and it is a totally killer modern 6 string for a mere bit over $400 new. Also to check out is the higher version in maple over maghogany. More money but a boutique level bass at a fraction the boutique price.

Good luck.

14. Nivek91

Nivek91 Supporting Member

Ibanez SR506. Best bang for the buck. IF you don't like Ibby's or just not feeling it, definitely go for the Spector.

15. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Unfortunately that's only available on their 5 string neck through basses AFAIK.

17. jay tay

jay tay

Media:
    Albums:
    I usually prefer Ibys, but I find the SR body shape more comfortable. I like the feel of the ESP, but prefer the sound of the Ibanez, The fell is more important to me so I vote ESP.

18. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I Would get a Yamaha TRB 1006

19. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I use Ibanez and they work for me, so you may not want to listen to what I have to say. I purchased the Ibanez SR506m which has help up for over two years so far with traveling, extreme heat and cold, and the only thing I've had to change was the intonation after changing the strings too often.

The neck is still in great shape, but the body is pretty beat up.
    I've played BTBs and they are absolutely fantastic. Probably the best bass you can get as a 6 would be a BTB. Many variety of tones with those barts. I'm a fan, can you not tell?

20. ronhammant

ronhammant Supporting Member

I own two Ibanez BTB-676's one fretted and the other a fretless, the string spacing at the bridge is around 14mm, I really have high praise for these basses though, well made light in weight not overly expensive, great sound. The more I slap the less the problem of string spacing, if that is the issue.

21. Systolic

Systolic

I just can't do an Ibby SR anything. I just can't get into them. Had a lower end one years ago where I learned to dislike the body. Last time I was in the market for a 6, I had heard so much praise for the SR506 that I spent like 3 hours with one in a GC. Couldn't do it. Ended up buying and subsequently selling the Schecter Studio 6.

Totally forgot about Yamaha. I'd totally dig the TRB or the John Myung. Usually a bit spendy though.

I could have sworn i've heard the BTB is wider than 14mm at the bridge. Can anybody else chime in on this?