Mid-Level and higher mikes for your amp. (What are you using)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TonyP-, Jan 26, 2013.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Mid-Level and higher mikes for your amp.
    What are you using? :bassist::cool:

Anyone using Electro-Voice RE20 or Audio-Technica AT4033/CL?

Whats your mike of choice?

2. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

I've gotten great result using the Beyer Dynamic M88 or the M99.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Try a Shure Beta 52, Sennheiser MD421, Beyer M88 or an Audio Technica 4047SV. I've used an RE20 on bass cabs before and they sound good, too.

4. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I have used the AT4047/SV with good results on a mellow session...I would love to try it with a little overdrive and some aggressive playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. audioglenn

The 4047SV will handle a loud amp with no problem. Great mic! They are more expensive. They sell for about $650, but worth it.

7. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Thanks Glenn
    I only used one at much bigger studio, but I'm in the market for one myself since I'm expanding my own.

8. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

I have both of those, either works great for bass amp. If I could only have one it would be the RE20.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

An RE20's an amazing mic (especially for broadcast purposes) but it has a super-high sensitivity and will pick up just about every sound on stage if you're using it live ...kind of a problem at times. In isolation though it's wonderful.

10. audioglenn

Always glad to help out.

11. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Nice to hear other folks thoughts on here...
    Lovein the thread. :)

I'm a self admitting a DI dork and owned/own everything out there in that realm. I have had a lot of good success with the Reddi and sometimes the JDV into a Neve or equivalent.

However I really-really love the sound of the Cabinets I have been using lately (Revsound - Celestion loaded Neo 10s) and want to incorporate more of them into my own recordings.

Just a little added info on what I'm looking to capture.-

That is a slight bump with the cabs at about 2.5K and most of the stuff I'm doing is either like a Marcus Miller clean type of thing (slightly brighter sounding) or with light overdrive and/or wet sounding with some outright effects.

Cheers Folks

12. audioglenn

When I use a mic to record a bass cabinet, I like to get a nice blend of the room as well as the cabinet. Many times people will put the mic right up on the speaker in the cabinet and then say that it sounds just like the DI. Well, that's usually true because they are not capturing any of the room sound. One way to change the sound is to move the mic away from the cabinet by a few feet(or more) and the mic will pick up some of the room sound. Another way, is to put up a second microphone several feet away from the cabinet to get the room sound. If you decide to use two mics, record them on individual tracks. That way you have control over the blend when you mix. Keep in mind that you have to listen for phase cancellation when blending the two tracks and make the appropriate level and/or eq adjustments. Experiment with the placement of the room mic. You'll know when you find one you like. Hope this helps!

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I use a Heil PR40 when I run a mic. I'd love to grab an RE20 too, but I don't really need it.

14. mistermark311

mistermark311

I like the RE20 or the SM7b. Also, couldn't agree more with audioglenn's suggestion... Too often people just bury the mic right into the cabinet. A little room never hurt anyone... worked well for Paul McCartney...

-Mark

15. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

Currently I am using two dynamic mics, a Pyle Pro Audio PPMIK, and a Pyle PDWM94. Both have XLR connectors. The PDWM94 can be used as a wired mic, or the cable can be replaced with a transmitter, and used wireless, which is how I use it.

They both work well enough, and are generally in the $40-$60 range. Even on a budget, I try not to skimp on things like mics, speakers, or headphones. I buy the best I can find/afford, even if it means waiting a bit longer to have it.

I learned early on that to buy too cheap really is to buy twice.:)

16. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I have a RE20 on the way...Stoked to be the actual guy doing the placing now in my own studio.
    Cheers:cool:

17. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
  18. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

My go to mics lately have been the AKG C451B and the CAD E100S. Usually the CAD for the cab and the AKG as a room mic. I also dig these mics for acoustic guitar, and the CAD has been the bee's knees with vocals.

19. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I do have a related mic question here. I have three (as of today) dynamic mics. But I would like to add a decent condenser mic at some point.

I never have a ton of money to spend on such, but realize I also need something to provide phantom power. Any quick suggestions for a reasonably priced setup?