1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mid-Quality Tonewoods and lamination

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MagiZosoBasses, Feb 16, 2013.

1. MagiZosoBasses

MagiZosoBasses

Disclosures:
    Jonathan Shrader, Luthier, MagiZoso Custom Basses
    Question One
    What glue is used to laminate woods?

Question Two
    What are some relatively cheap but good quality tonewoods? I'll be laminating two pieces of a tonewood with maple in between(for the neck)
    What would is cost effective and goes well with maple?

:bassist:

2. TundraMan

TundraMan

Q1: Original Titebond.

Q2: Try cherry. For some reason it's not used as often in instruments, but it's relatively inexpensive, looks good and sounds good.

3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

As TundraMan said Tite Bond is good. It worked well for the laminations on my recent build.

Ash and mahogany are suitable, common and affordable woods for necks. Lyptus is a good hard import. It may be a bit brighter in terms of tone compared to ash or mahogany and it will be a good wood to pair with maple in terms of appearance.

4. MagiZosoBasses

MagiZosoBasses

Disclosures:
    Jonathan Shrader, Luthier, MagiZoso Custom Basses
    Well the maple will make up the neck and mid-piece of the body, while the other wood will make up the rest of the body. I really like the look of mahogany and cherry.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

Walnut is another option. For glue, I just use any aliphatic resin (yellow carpenter's glue, this is what Titebond original is).

7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Make sure you use good clamping pressure when you do the laminates. The first one I did for a neck had small gaps in the glue lines. I ended up buying new wood and restarting with 2x4s on their ends on top and bottom and had the clamps on those to spread out the presssure evenly and that worked out great.

Maple looks good with a lot of medium and darker woods (like walnut and mahogany) in my opinion. You might want to look into the weight of them.