Mid scooped Jazz pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Discharge, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Can anyone recommend me some pickups which have a mid scooped type voicing, more specifically big down low?

For a KSD Proto J 605, can do routing for something like Nordie big singles...etc?
  2. maturanesa

maturanesa

di marzio model J
  3. BassGyver

BassGyver

Di Marzio's Ultra J are mid scooped. Not the Model J.
    You may also try the SJB3 quarter pound from Seymour Duncan.
  4. alexofc69

alexofc69

I have a set of Seymour Duncan SJB5s and seem really scooped to me. Nice big lows too paired with Aguilar OBP-3
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

If you want mid scoop I think you can achieve better results with an onboard preamp than with a scoop-voiced pickup and the preamp will allow you to adjust the scoop to taste. The Sadowsky preamp, for example, has a killer scooped sound when you boost the bass and treble by 1/3 to 1/2. J-Retro, Aguilar, and Norstrand also make great onboard preamps that will fit your KSD.
  7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

A Demeter onboard has scooped mids with the sweetest tight lows and glassy non-clanky highs.
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Bridge spacing?

And I think people are not seeing that this is a 5 string... they do make the UJ in a 5 and those are mid-scoopy for sure.
  9. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Like a few have commented, I'd look for a good pickup that you like the overall character of, then scoop it with an onboard pre of your choice. It's easier to put the mids back in when you need them, and you very likely may need them to cut though at some point.
  10. markanini

markanini

Pickups transfer the vibration of the strings, EQ scoops the mids.
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

The Ultra J's are about as scooped as I've used. Good pickups for slap, if thats the tone you're after.
    I personally like the Nordy NJ5's. Warm, rich and gooey.
  12. Discharge

Discharge

Yes I understand that, how do different pickups affect the tone then?
  13. markanini

markanini

Of course they differ in output but you might get disappointed from believing a particular one will give you something like a mid scoop for slap.
  14. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

15. groove pump

groove pump

Loving my DiMarzio Ultra J's in my passive Franken J-bass (Warmoth neck, etc.). If I play with both pickups wide open, I might cut my lows and boost my mids just a little bit to keep from getting too big down low without enough clarity that's carried in the mids. Not that these pickups demand perpetual slapping and nothing else. I'm not a serious slapper by any means, but I can open up my tone control and give this rig a spanking whenever I want. They definitely deliver plenty of big down low for me - I'm doing mostly covers to keep 'em shakin' it on the dance floor these days.

I've also tried basses in recent years, one parts Jazz with the pickups from a Geddy Lee signature (too much honk, not enough big belly) and a custom P/J with active EMG's (also a little lacking in the big down low, but nasty growl). I also had a quality Warwick Corvette with a nice Bartolini system dropped in, but that combo of wood and electronics had no mids at all and I couldn't hear it at my gigs. These DiMarzios have probably become my "normal", but I'm not interested in looking for any improvements.
  16. Discharge

Discharge

It's not really slap tone, more that my amp is bias toward mids and a little weak on the low end, i'm basically trying to plump out the low end a little.

DiMarzio Ultra J seem like the winners?