Mid Sweep Controls & Settings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I've experimenting with the mid sweep controls on my Carvin Icon 5 string a lot. I have a tough time deciding where to keep it. I like the bass at about 65% and the treble flat or slightly boosted. I have the standard soapbars.

Does anyone use it more as a cut than a boost? To get the sound without the extra gain to not overload pedals, amps, etc.

Would turning up the frequency and turning the gain down all the way be similar to the opposite?

How do use the mids?

Thank you!

2. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The correct setting depends on what you need and will vary according to player, and the desired result. I change my mid settings, cut and boost, and the sweep a lot over a night. The sweep sets the frequency the mid cut/boost operates at.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The only advice anyone can give you is to keep experimenting until you find the sound(s) you like.

A good method for getting your ears acclimated to what the mid controls do is to set a fair amount of boost and listen to the difference as you change the frequency. Then do the same with a fair amount of cut. After a while you'll be able to quickly dial in pretty much any sound you want.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Thanks! I've been doing what both of you said -
    I do tweak it during the set.
    And I mess with it all the time - turning up the gain and messing with the sweep.

I appreciate the feedback!

5. Register to disable this ad