1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIDI Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4StringsEnough, Apr 11, 2014.

1. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Have zero experience with MIDI so please excuse my ignorance. My interest in MIDI has been piqued by all the talk about the Source Audio MIDI Hub. This seemingly allows you to control multiple pedals with a single MIDI controller (such as the OneControl Gecko or Tech21 MIDI Mouse). But, as far as I can tell, it will only work with Source Audio pedals. My question is this: how does one use a MIDI controller footswitch such as the aforementioned ones from OneControl or Tech21 with more than one pedal? Say, a Whammy, a Line 6 M5 and a Source Audio Pro Bass Envelope Filter? Is there a way to daisy chain the MIDI cable? And, if so, will each pedal 'know' which MIDI signals are meant for it and which are intended for the other pedals? Thanks for your help! :)

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Midi has 16 channels and your devices are generally channel assignable. So if I have my SA hub as channel 1, I'll set up my M5 as channel 2 and my next device as channel 3, for example. Controllers that support multiple channels have you designate both the channel number as well as the program or control change you want to send. That's how they are separated. The midi mouse and gecko are both single channel though, so you set the send channel globally. If you want to do more advanced stuff you'll need a more advanced controller.

And yes, most devices have both a midi in a out/through port. The m5 does not have a through port, so I have it last in my midi chain.

3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Great! Thanks. Any recommendations for a multi channel controller footswitch without breaking the bank and which isn't too large?

4. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad