1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Midrangey live amplification?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Noot, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Noot

Noot

Hello,

I would like to understand the eq/spectrum workings of live amplification. If I play at home or rehearsal I know I need a almost flat EQ, with just a little bass boost. I play a Fender P. I assumed this applies to live amplification as well, but I think I may be mistaken. I have noticed that at the last Royal Albert Hall performance with Cream, Jack Bruce has a hill-like EQ curve, which would imply an emphasis on mids. I have also read somewhere that for stage amplification, the bass guitar actually needs a lot of mids.

Besides wanting to have a good stage sound, there is another reason for my curiosity. I currently have two amps: a Peavey Mark III and a new Hartke HA5500. On the Peavey it says 1978 and 1980 so I asume it was designed in 1978. Using the same cabinet, a Peavey 410TVX, the Peavey has an aggresive emphasis on mids and seems to have no low end. The Hartke appears to have a more liniar response, and huge low end which makes everything in the room shake. However, I took the Peavey head to a gig, turned it up to 9 (of 10) to cope with a loud guitarist and a loud drummer and the mix turned out fine. I'm very confused: is the Peavey broken and has no low end, or was it designed like that because in a live situation you need lots of mids? Or was that the 70's general design, to give a midrangey bass tone?

2. Noot

Noot

No thoughts? Guess it's all in my head then :)

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Turn knobs till it sounds right. Who cares where they are set?

Your eq will depend on so many things. How you play, the strings, the bass, the amp, the cab, the room, the mix....

It isnt a "set it and forget it" kind of thing.