1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

mighty mite j bass necks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spaz21387, Apr 18, 2008.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Are these any good. For the price they seem great but maybe someone knows something I dont about them. I was thinking of putting one on my p bass because the p bass neck is alittle too thick. And its an all maple neck for 99$. It almost seems too good to be true. It says they are lisenced by fender but dont have a fender decal on them. I really dont mind the missing logo anyway.

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

There are many other necks out there, IMO- Allparts, Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft. I've owned one Mighty Mite neck, and it would not have fit a (1996) Fender MIM body without expanding the body's neck pocket. I ended up selling it and the body before trying it out on anything.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

I have a Mighty Mite P-Bass neck on my MIM Jazz bass, fit perfectly and is exceptional quality, I'm dead happy with it.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Thanks, They seem pretty good. Ill probably end up picking one up and if it doesnt fit the p bass ill see if it fits on my mim jazz. So is the neck finished with that sticky gloss finish that fender uses?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have used a couple of them to date, and have always been quite satisfied with the construction and quality - especially for the price

all the best,

R

7. Darkstrike

Mine is satin finished.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Im definatly going to pick one up now. I hate the finnish on the back of the mim jazz bass neck. Maybe 2 and replace the one on my mim jazz too.

9. blipndub

blipndub

I've used a few over the years. They are okay for the money, they have a strange rigid feel to them. Maybe because the edges aren't rolled in any way. There is a tangible difference between mightymite stuff and the better quality necks that might just be build quality. On the other hand I think their bodies are excellent.

10. Darkstrike

Mine is rolled.

11. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Yup, fer the dollar they're O.K. Mine needed some clean-up sanding and fret-end pruning, but it fit well and seems to be holding up well.
    Josh

12. Brian D

Brian D

I've got two Might Mite necks, love 'em both. One a J fretted and one a fretless P. :cool:

13. robert43

robert43

I have used them nothing wrong with them

14. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I have P and a J neck and I friggin' love them. They both have a satin finish which is awesome and they are one piece maple(no fretboard). The dimensions/profile are on the modern side(the P is a little more than 1.6 inches wide)
    The fretwork is fine but the edges are a little rough indeed. However since you will need somebody to drill holes for the neck and tuning screws, this should be no biggy.
    Moreover, I really don't like the precut nut that they come with so I had it replaced with graphtech tusq nuts.(The bottom is flat by the way.)
    The other thing that I suggest you check out is the tuner holes. I am not sure what the dimensions are but I know they were a little too big for the Hipshot ultralites I am using.
    All in all, I honestly doubt if you can get a better neck for that price. I honestly want to try their guitar necks. If their Tele neck is chubby enough I will definetely put one together.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Another mighty mite jazz bass neck owner and lover here. Have one on my Jaebird and couldn't be happier.

16. mongo2

mongo2

I've used several and, while they work well enough, I prefer other brands.

17. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Such as???

18. mongo2

mongo2

For aftermarket necks: Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, and Allparts.

19. bjabass

bjabass

I have one on my FrankenP-and I love it....NOW.
    When I got it it was alright but the wood began to shrink and cause what I now know as 'fret sprout'. I was told that it is 'normal' for a neck made in SE Asia to be swollen due to the high humidity there, and to shrink when brought here. Anyway the edge of the neck became a saw with those frets sticking out...
    I had a fret job done and had the edges rolled and now it is great.

I put a Warmoth neck on my other P bass and it never had a problem. In fact I have had it for 12 or 13 years and never adjusted the truss rod. It is built like a tank, plays great but weight is the trade-off.

20. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

You have to admit though, that these are almost at the double price. I honestly think there is nothing as good at the price range of the Mighty mite stuff.

21. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I had a similar problem when I moved from Greece to Germany with the P neck so when I got the J neck 2 years later I knew what to expect; I had the neck rolled off in Germany and not in Greece(My life-trusting luthier is in Greece). I have traveled a couple of times back and forth since then with completely different weather conditions and humidity and the neck barely moved. If I would have stayed longer in Greece I would be tempted to turn the truss rod a quarter turn tighter but I was patient till I got back. By the way love the trussrod adjustment at the nut and not at the heel:D