Mighty Mite Maple P bass Neck- Finish or Not??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gregmon79, Mar 27, 2014.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tried doing a search on this, I yielded nothing.

I just got a 2907 Mighty Mite P bass neck with a maple fretboard for my Squier P bass. I got it out of the box yesterday and I thought that the wood seemed pretty "raw" so to speak. Are these necks finished with anything?? Do any of you think I should throw some finish on it? If so, what I have, Minwax rub-on poly and tung oil, will these work? I was thinking of putting two coats of the tung over the entire neck then follow up with a coat or two of the poly but only on the back of the neck and the whole headstock. Will this be beneficial??

I would like to tint the hue of the neck to match my amber looking bass I finished a few month ago too. But, I if dont NEED to put a finish on this neck, I would like to wait. If thats a good idea. Also, if I do put finish on the neck, should I cover the frets up with tape or just finish over them and then scrape the finish off later? And scrape the frets with what in that case? I would imagine that the frets are somewhat fragile and it probably wouldnt be a good thing to just take a scraper to them. Thoughts and suggestions are very welcome, thank you.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

They are finished with a very thin satin poly, you don't have to finish it with anything. Be advised, MightyMites are great necks, but they usually need a bit of fret work.

3. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I noticed that about the frets, just a tad sharp on the ends. How can I go about finishing those? I take it sand paper is not the tool to be using there.......?? Thank you for your input. It's so light (in color)! I wish it was a little darker like my bass is. I almost have an amber tint to it.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Files are the best thing to use. If you don't have them, you might consider having a local tech/luthier do it. It can be a pretty fiddly process.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I do happen to have some small files. I will give it a shot and see what happens. I do know my boundaries so if I feel I am going to damage the neck in any way, I can take it to a local GC, I know the tech there, pretty cool guys and he knows what hes doing. THanks again for all the input guys. It was just a few small questions I had that I thought I knew the answers to but I'd rather be safe than sorry as I do feel, as well, that these MM necks are rather nice.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You need a very fine file that is dead flat to do the job.

8. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I happen to work at an auto parts warehouse and am getting a set of small to medium files that go from fine to very fine, flat, square and round. Im confident Ill be able to accomplish what Im trying to do with those.

9. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    So I got the neck onto my P. I must say, this neck rocks!! Im super happy. I filed all the fret bottoms and adjusted accordingly after I strung it and let it sit for a couple days. Plays like a dream. LOVE this bass even more now. I want to jam with it and see if I can use it in my band now as the bass didnt cut through as much as I would have liked then with the rosewood board. Its so nice to have a truss rod so shallow and accessible. Again, very happy with this neck, they are quite nice. Now all I have to do is get the silly watershed decal to stick! Does anyone know of any other Fender decals that work better than the watersheds??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]