1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Mighty Mite Neck vs. Fender MIM Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfabrizio, Nov 13, 2006.

1. jfabrizio

jfabrizio

How do the Mighty Mite replacement jazz necks compare to the Mexican jazz necks? It seems to me that they are pretty comparable but would like to hear from someone who has experience with them. How do they compare as far as stability and overall value? Will they bold up to a Mexican precision bass?
    Thanks

2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Well to Quote the fender artist rep Ritchie Fleigler from years ago when i had a serious problem with a USA 62 RI P bass.. instead of helping with a replacement neck he told me to "get a warmoth neck, it is far better than the fender". .and that is from the fender rep... And deep inside i knew he was right, but i wanted the "F" on the headstock.... so went round and round and finally i got satisfaction but not from Fender.
    So i would say, Mighty Mite.. i dont know if they are making their own parts but i bet it will be better than a newer fender neck..
    I have seen Fender custon shop necks that have truss rods that are frozen or dont operate in more than one instance.. and i dont trust their quality control at all...
    Mighty Mite, Warmoth (if you dont mind the stiffening bars they put in the bass necks) USA custom are a few other necks that you may want to look into

3. manbass

manbass Supporting Member

I've had 2 Mighty Mite Jazz necks, the Board radius is flatter than the Fender MIM necks by about 3 to 4 degrees. Other than that they are identical in fret finish, rounded edges..etc.

4. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

I have two Mighty Mite necks. Neither one would fit on an MIM Precision body or MIM Jazz body. The necks are too wide for both. Curiously, they both were great fits on Squier bodies.

Jim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fish slapper

fish slapper

You'd have the same issue with Warmoth. They are made to be MIA replacements and the neck heel is different than MIM. Although, I can also recommend Warmoth bassed on quality.

7. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Does that mean that Squier bodies have the same size neck pocket as Fender MIA?

Jim

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

My mighty mite P neck is fantastic. Better than the best MIM I have ever played.

9. therex

therex

wait so they fit MIAs and squiers but not MIM?
    how much mods does a warmoth neck needs to fit a MIM?

10. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I've built 4 Basses with Mighty Mite necks , they all took a "little" sanding to make the bodies neck pocket wide enough or the neck narrow enough. I built 3 after the first one so I didn't think it was hard to do.

All 4 Basses sounded GREAT ! though all 4 used Mighty Mite bodies and all Fender hardware.... Mighty Mite makes good stuff and I did put a MM Jazz neck on a MIM P-Bass Deluxe with very little extra work and it sounded better than with the stock neck !

11. skotsour

skotsour

I've been wanting to put a Mighty Mite neck on my MIM Jazz, but the only thing stopping me is the little 60th anniversary medallion on the back of the MIM neck.

12. mongo2

mongo2

You can always re-install the MIM neck if you need to.

13. skotsour

skotsour

True....I'm off to find a lefty Mighty Mite neck!

14. phatduckk

phatduckk

I have a few guitars and basses w/ warmoth necks. none of them are on MIA Fenders... they're all on MIM or MIJ fenders and I havent had a fit issue

but that's just my experience. YMMV

15. LCW

LCW Banned

i was asking the same queston i want to get a aerodyne body strip it to natural and get a MM fretless with no lines neck

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love the mighty mite necks. I like the no-logo headstock look. I use the mighty mite 4 string p-bass necks for my 5 string basses. They are a little fatter than the jazz 4 string nack but they are slimmer than the 5 string jazz necks. Yes sometimes you have to sand the neck pocket on some basses a little to get the neck to fit in. Better that than having the neck be too small. My only real complaint is that some are a fatter C profile and some are a slimmer D profile. And when I get them off of ebay I can't tell which I am getting.

[​IMG]

17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

my MIM jazz has a warmoth neck that fit perfectly.

18. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    The neck on my CS P-bass was like that. I replaced the stock nickel rounds with La Bella flats about a month after I bought it and could hardly get any adjustment out of the truss rod to compensate. My luthier got a little more out of it but I definitely maxed it out. I was really surprised.

19. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

Does Mighty Mite make a 5-string Jazz neck?