1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mighty Mite Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NicholasF, Jan 1, 2013.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Hi, I just got a new mighty mite neck for my frankenfender. I am a visual learner, and an autitory learner, and I wanted to know if anyone has a good video or recording with instructions of how to get this thing on here without ruining the neck. :)

thanks

-Nick
  2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

3. WilliamSandoval

WilliamSandoval

Um bolt it on?
  4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Is it just that simple? Just run the screws through the neck? I've read a lot of things but i guess I'm missing it
  5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You want to test fit the neck in the pocket. It it's a bit sloppy in the fit, you'll want to triple/quadruple check that you have the geometry lined up so that the strings, when equally spaced, cross the pickup poles and are reasonably centered on the fingerboard.
    Now you'll want a clamp - one of the cheap plastic ones with the rubber protectors from Home Despot will do. Clamp the aligned neck to the body so that at least 2 of the body's screw holes are accessible. Select the right sized drill bit for your screws. Hold the neck screw to your drill bit and spike the bit with some masking tape. This is so you don't drill too far. Drill the accessable holes. Unclamp, and screw though the metal plate and attach the neck. Drill the remaining holes and run those screws.
  6. Splods

Splods

Davey 4557 on Youtube has done a few videos where he has had to drill and screw on a neck, I suggest checking out his videos.
  7. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I would suggest if using this method; instead of drilling the holes while the neck is on the body, mark the hole locations using a center punch. Once all the holes have been marked, unclamp the neck, then drill the holes using a drill press or drill guide. A couple years ago I drilled the holes on my allparts neck while it was clamped to my jazz bass and quickly realized that getting a hand drill centered when you can't see the hole you're drilling is very difficult.