1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MIJ Fender Jazz Bass 1993-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 67thunderbird, Feb 25, 2014.

1. 67thunderbird

67thunderbird

I play a Ricky 4003 but looking to acquire a good Fender. I have been keeping an eye out for a vintage Precision but they are fairly rare here in Australia. A 1993 MIJ Jazz Bass is available and it comes with Lindy Fralin pickups. Cost US800. I am yet to play it but will do so before I buy.
    Any comments on this Bass. I will be using it for recording and some live stuff (mainly rock n roll and garage playing through a Fender Bassman)

Appreciate the help.
  2. Dubista

Dubista

Hey there,

On the whole, MIJ basses are great bang for buck and have amazing quality. As with all bases any one year will have some real players but also some dogs. One thing you might want to look for is that some of the cheaper MIJ basses have basswood bodies while the more expensive ones may have alder or ash, depending on the series. Some people don't like basswood because it's a "cheap" wood, but you should make your judgement about it. You can't go wrong with a good Jazz bass. $800 USD is a bit steep for a basswood bodied one, but a bargain for an alder bodied one especially considering the pickups.

Just try before you buy and if it speaks to you, you'll know.

Also, if you haven't, join up on Ozbassforum.com, it's like TalkBass... but Australian. There will be plenty of people who can help out with the more local side of things.

Cheers
  3. gary m

gary m

MIJ Fenders are in many ways equal to, if not occasionally better than, their US-made counterparts. The best indicator of its suitability will be how it feels and sounds, assuming there are no issues with the instrument. $800 USD is a fair price for one of these in good condition...perhaps less if it has the basswood body as the previous poster pointed out. Other than that, sounds like a pretty good deal with the Fralin upgrade.

Check to see if a case is part of the deal, and good luck!
  4. 67thunderbird

67thunderbird

5. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

I'm a massive fan of MIJ Fenders. I have an '89 P and just picked up an '88 J - they're both fantastic. Give them a set-up pop your fav strings on and yr golden. I've owned vintage Fenders (just sold a 71 J) and well... I'm perfectly happy with the MIJs.

93-94 seems to be a really good vintage. Every one Ive seen from this period has had really nice grained maple in the neck. $800 is about right in Australia, probably a good deal with the Fralins.