MIJ Fender Jazz Special vs. Fender MIM Duff McKagan Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Hanback, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Brad Hanback

Brad Hanback Supporting Member

Anybody have an opinion on the quality differences between the two basses? I've never had the chance to personally handle / play either and could use some advice.
  2. rickwebb

rickwebb

I have two E-Series MIJ Jazz Bass Specials, both without the black paint on the back of the necks. Both have Jazz Bass (1.5" at the nut) necks.
    The MIM Duff Sig has the wider P-Bass neck.
    Other than that, the Duff Sig is just as good. Hope that helps. :)
  3. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

I bought a new all black JBS in 1985 (passive). The pickups that came stock in this model had large pole pieces, similar looking to SD Quarter Pounders.

The Duff signature bass has a more vintage P pickup and a SD Hot Stack J pickup (cancels hum).

Because of noise/hum issues with the original single coil J pickup, I changed the pickups to SD SPB-1 vintage P, and SD STK-J2 Hot Stack J.
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Duff has a opinion he talked about them in some interview somewhere, he said he was a fan , it was built really solid and could hang with his old MIJ ones and that he also really liked the aerodyne models by fender and has been using those, something along those lines.

Register to disable this ad
  5. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I do believe all the power jazz specials were made of basswood, whereas the duff model is alder.
  6. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

My passive 85 JBS was basswood as well (MIJ)

I don't remember seeing any of the JBS listed with alder body in the specs ...