1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIK P vs MIM MIA MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    I know everyone batch has great basses and bad basses, but what is the average quality on a MIK Fender P. I would guess between MIM and MIJ, but I don't know. I am left handed so it is hard to find a good selection and the only one I know of in my price range is a MIK. Thanks!

2. Yes, there is inconsistencies. But, the budget line is intended to be for beginers. Not to say you couldn't score a good one, but the extra money for the other lines, goes to better materials and paying the workers for quality control.

In other words, unless you are stealing one (figuratively, $50 and under), try before you buy.

The only other reason to buy sight unseen is if it's from a respected TB seller. Then you know you are getting something that has atleast a setup and new strings and sometimes upgrades.

Good luck.

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've always liked the build quality & playability of MIK basses (& guitars)...

4. Intentions and actuality are 2 different things. The Squier CV line almost always smokes the MIM Fenders in tone & playability. The VM, too a lesser extent, is on par with the MIMs. I've played & own MIMs that played & sounded better than their MIA counterparts. And, it's almost a consensus that the finishes on the CVs & MIMs are better than most MIAs lately. Better color options, too.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I guess you talking about some of the older late 80's MIK P basses?
    I found one a few weeks ago in a shop, back with maple fretboard beat up but nice enough for $65.00. It had neck bow and the shop did not want to put anytime into it. I took it home and got he neck straight with some work and repaced did all the pots and wiring. It is a great bass and I love the neck and the no pickguard body look.

This weekend a guy had one on CL for 100.00 that is all I would pay and it was in better shape..paint etc, than the black one I bought.
    I looked at the neck and it to had bow but not as bad as the first MIK P I bought. The issue was I had allot of problem getting the bow out this time and it is good as it is going to get, not real bad and it is plenty playable.

I like the MIK but they are not as good as my SQ 80's MIJ Squiers.They are a good bass for the buck thou. I'm a sucker for maple necks but can't understand why the two I found were both bowed. This might be a MIK thing to watch out for.

6. Yep. I just got trolled on my mim squier. Apparently, it doesn't exist. It's an American neck and body finished with Mexico paints and Chinese electronics/bits. There can be some real squier diamonds. Just have to play them.

7. Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    It seems like I'm getting mixed responses. I do not know the year the bass was made. If you search for "left handed" under basses on the guitar center used section it is the first item. It is a white MIK P bass for 350.

8. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

Feb 12, 2012
    my CV jazz that i just bought sounded and played better (imo) than all of the MIM's that i tried and better than a few MIA's that i tried. i was looking to spend way more money than i did. i almost didnt even pick it up off the rack, glad i did.

9. Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Also keep in mind that I am left handed and they aren't even making MIM CV or VM P's leftys right now. The only new option I have is an MIA and they used market is limited (if they even used to make those models in lefty).

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Really? Have you checked? IMO $350 for a MIK is too high...is it a Squier MIK or MIM?

11. Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Yes. The only left handed models currently are MIM Jazz MIA Jazz MIA P (all standard) and VM Jazz. The listing just says "Used Fender MIK Precision Bass LH". If they only made squiers in Korea and no actual Fenders, I guess it has to be a squier. I have no contacted guitar center about it and the picture is hard to see.

12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    They also made some Standards but that and squiers are it...I think. I would go with the VM jazz if I was you.

13. Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    The problem with that is I am looking for a P bass....I have a MIM that I love (but is heavy as hell) and a Yamaha Jazz that more than does the job also. I don't know as much about P's as I would like, but I do know besides MIA's it is hard to get a hold of one.

14. Flip a right-handed one & relocate the strap buttons. Redo the nut & put your strings on lefty!

Hendrix-style!

15. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Oh sorry. When it comes to MIM and MIA go out and play allot to them. IMO there is not enough in a MIA to pay the price over most MIMs but that's me.

16. Pokerdweebz

Oct 26, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    I would prefer to not flip a righty. That's my problem though. They don't make new MIM P's and the only new left handed basses stores stock are entry level Ibanez. I couldn't test them out if I wanted to.

17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Check online, more ideas there? I guess?

18. Well now...that sucks! Check out some of the Squiers, then. There's some good quality lefties in that line-up.
    Another option would be to get a lefty jazz & swap the pickup for a P and the pickguard for a P-routed jazz guard.