1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIK P vs MIM MIA MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I know everyone batch has great basses and bad basses, but what is the average quality on a MIK Fender P. I would guess between MIM and MIJ, but I don't know. I am left handed so it is hard to find a good selection and the only one I know of in my price range is a MIK. Thanks!

2. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Yes, there is inconsistencies. But, the budget line is intended to be for beginers. Not to say you couldn't score a good one, but the extra money for the other lines, goes to better materials and paying the workers for quality control.

In other words, unless you are stealing one (figuratively, $50 and under), try before you buy.

The only other reason to buy sight unseen is if it's from a respected TB seller. Then you know you are getting something that has atleast a setup and new strings and sometimes upgrades.

Good luck.

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

I've always liked the build quality & playability of MIK basses (& guitars)...

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Intentions and actuality are 2 different things. The Squier CV line almost always smokes the MIM Fenders in tone & playability. The VM, too a lesser extent, is on par with the MIMs. I've played & own MIMs that played & sounded better than their MIA counterparts. And, it's almost a consensus that the finishes on the CVs & MIMs are better than most MIAs lately. Better color options, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I guess you talking about some of the older late 80's MIK P basses?
    I found one a few weeks ago in a shop, back with maple fretboard beat up but nice enough for $65.00. It had neck bow and the shop did not want to put anytime into it. I took it home and got he neck straight with some work and repaced did all the pots and wiring. It is a great bass and I love the neck and the no pickguard body look.

This weekend a guy had one on CL for 100.00 that is all I would pay and it was in better shape..paint etc, than the black one I bought.
    I looked at the neck and it to had bow but not as bad as the first MIK P I bought. The issue was I had allot of problem getting the bow out this time and it is good as it is going to get, not real bad and it is plenty playable.

I like the MIK but they are not as good as my SQ 80's MIJ Squiers.They are a good bass for the buck thou. I'm a sucker for maple necks but can't understand why the two I found were both bowed. This might be a MIK thing to watch out for.

7. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Yep. I just got trolled on my mim squier. Apparently, it doesn't exist. It's an American neck and body finished with Mexico paints and Chinese electronics/bits. There can be some real squier diamonds. Just have to play them.

8. Pokerdweebz

It seems like I'm getting mixed responses. I do not know the year the bass was made. If you search for "left handed" under basses on the guitar center used section it is the first item. It is a white MIK P bass for 350.

9. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

my CV jazz that i just bought sounded and played better (imo) than all of the MIM's that i tried and better than a few MIA's that i tried. i was looking to spend way more money than i did. i almost didnt even pick it up off the rack, glad i did.

10. Pokerdweebz

Also keep in mind that I am left handed and they aren't even making MIM CV or VM P's leftys right now. The only new option I have is an MIA and they used market is limited (if they even used to make those models in lefty).

11. bassbully

Really? Have you checked? IMO $350 for a MIK is too high...is it a Squier MIK or MIM?

12. Pokerdweebz

Yes. The only left handed models currently are MIM Jazz MIA Jazz MIA P (all standard) and VM Jazz. The listing just says "Used Fender MIK Precision Bass LH". If they only made squiers in Korea and no actual Fenders, I guess it has to be a squier. I have no contacted guitar center about it and the picture is hard to see.

13. bassbully

They also made some Standards but that and squiers are it...I think. I would go with the VM jazz if I was you.

14. Pokerdweebz

The problem with that is I am looking for a P bass....I have a MIM that I love (but is heavy as hell) and a Yamaha Jazz that more than does the job also. I don't know as much about P's as I would like, but I do know besides MIA's it is hard to get a hold of one.

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Flip a right-handed one & relocate the strap buttons. Redo the nut & put your strings on lefty!

Hendrix-style!

16. bassbully

Oh sorry. When it comes to MIM and MIA go out and play allot to them. IMO there is not enough in a MIA to pay the price over most MIMs but that's me.

17. Pokerdweebz

I would prefer to not flip a righty. That's my problem though. They don't make new MIM P's and the only new left handed basses stores stock are entry level Ibanez. I couldn't test them out if I wanted to.

18. bassbully

Check online, more ideas there? I guess?

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

Well now...that sucks! Check out some of the Squiers, then. There's some good quality lefties in that line-up.
    Another option would be to get a lefty jazz & swap the pickup for a P and the pickguard for a P-routed jazz guard.