Mike Arnopol composite Bassic 12 + tweet, 17 lbs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lomo, Feb 3, 2013.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Superb. A bit heavier than a box of Corn Flakes, pricier than most boutique 12s but worth it if you have the scratch and hate lifting more than you have to IMHO. Faital 12 and simple tweet, 8 Ohms. It's a great match with my Walkabout and can be stacked with my 4 Ohm Bassic 15 (sans tweet) that weighs just over 20 lbs. For those looking for helium-filled cabs without sonic compromise, it doesn't get any better than Mike's work IME.

Attached Files:

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks great!
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

He does make nice cabs. Is it his design? I know he makes cab's for other manufaturers but not sure he designs and makes his own. Not saying he can't as this might be his design. Whats the name. Like the Audiokinesis I can't see a name on it.
  4. lomo

The Bassic is a Greenboy cab, meant to sound more old school than the fEarful series. However, there's no magic in it. I believe Mike had come up with essentially the same design independently, but I do not profess intimate knowledge of the creative process; I just dig the box. It's just a well-designed 2-way cab with quality drivers. There's no brand marked on the cab.....it's my stealth cab, LOL.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Price please.
  7. lomo

I am not sure what the price is now-for that you can contact TBer Mike Arnopol who builds them. Mine was about 750 shipped.
  8. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Glad you're diggin' it!
    It's funny---if you kindof know what you're doing many speaker designs can come out very simmilar. 3 times Greenboy and I had independently come up with very similar stuff.

There are only a few drivers that we're all using and we're all using variations of the same software.

Dave and I started out with the Crazy 8. I had designed and built what is now called the Crazy 8. Dave was working on the same thing. So we collaborated and adjusted a few dimensions and there it was.

With the Bassic 15, Dave had designed the cab and put up plans for the builders. It dawned on me that I had built a very similar composite box that I never finished. Turns out that the dimensions were within 1/2" of Dave's.

I designed a super small 12" cab based around the 3012ho. Turns out that it was near identical to the Barefaced Midget. I wasn't trying to copy it. I just had the same performance goals and it wound up being very similar.

With the Bassic 12 Dave was coming up with a design. I had built a slightly larger box for a 12. So using my box we messed around with tunings and voila--a Bassic 12.

For me one of Dave's biggest strengths is not in coming up with ground-breaking designs. He picks and chooses the best drivers and optimizes them with his cabinet design. But to me, his biggest strength is refining all aspects of cab design but especially in details of cabinet construction. Port area, bracing, breaking up panel resonances---at first (especially when comparing to other designer/builders) things seem like overkill---but in performance there is a NOTICABLE difference.

I'm not claiming to be anywhere near on the level of Dave or Duke or the Big E guys. But I do have a modicum of knowledge and experience.

The Bassic 12 here is a custom job---dimensions adjusted to stack perfectly on top of Lomo's Bassic 15.

that's one of the advantages of working with an authorized builder---everything is a custom job.
  9. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Thread revival! Lomo I was wondering (or anyone else could chime in): when you stack the 12 on top of the 15, given that one is 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms, if running through the same amp, wouldn't the 15 overpower the 12 in volume? For example, I have a GB ShuttleMax 12.2...If I ran it through your cabs the 12" would get a max of 375W and the 15" would see 600W...I'm very curious in getting a similar setup but this point concerns me.
  10. lomo

You are right, the impedance matching between those 2 cabs was lousy-it would have been better if the 15 was 4 Ohms and the 12 *, evening out the power per driver displacement better. However, I wanted the 15 to be 4 Ohms for standalone use with a lower powered head (Walkabout).
  11. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Ahh ok, thought as much. What's your opinion of the Bassic 15 as a standalone? I've been toying with one of 2 options:

• 4 Ohm Bassic 12 w/ tweeter + 4 Ohm Bassic 15 (4 ohm each): worried about how much power can the 12" take (amp: 600W, driver: 300W). Would use my ears of course, but accidents do happen.
    • 2 x Bassic 15's (4 Ohm each): worried about if I'd miss having the tweeter as I do have to slap for a handful of songs for some gigs.
  12. lomo

If you slap much at all IMO you will miss the tweet. I would prefer to have the 12 at 8 Ohms and the 15 at 4 in order to balance power output with cone area a little better.