1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mike Dirnt pickup info, anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greengoblin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. greengoblin

greengoblin

I parted my Mike Dirnt sig model and kept the pick-ups and elecs... I think someone has modified this bass before it came into my possession. There are no numbers or markings on the pick-ups themselves. The pots on this bass are CTS pots, and the rest seemed to be changed as well.

Anyone know how to tell if the pick up is original?

Thanks!:bassist:
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

If you're talking about the Fender version,

It should have beveled poles and sound and look exactly like a Custom Shop '62 Original w/ plastic insulation on the leads instead of cloth. I don't have a pic of the face of the pickup w/o the cover on it handy, but here's what the windings should look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the stock harness. CTS pots, orange cap.

[​IMG]
  3. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

I believe the pups were originally spec'd as Custom Shop '58s.
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

'59 is what I keep seeing.
  5. mike phillips

mike phillips

they do sound nice
  6. greengoblin

greengoblin

Awesome, thanks guys!!!

@Landau - Mine look identical to yours (minus a little less foam) so looks like no one had messed with the set-up... Sweet!! Cant wait to get them in my Highway 1 P as They have a nice fat sound!!

And yes, I keep seeing them as '59 custom shops as well!
  7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

CTS pots are MIM OEM.
  8. greengoblin

greengoblin

What year did this start? On Sig models or all? I have a factory stock MIM jazz that did not have CTS's.
  9. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

My understanding , from usually good authority, is that they have always been, on all models .Perhaps the earliest were not. Any one know for sure ?