1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mike Inez current tone !

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Brunators, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Brunators

Brunators

Hello everyone, I am a big fan of Mike Inez and have observed his latest shows and he has a very good tone. I wonder if someone could help me get the closest that tone. I have a Fender Jazz Bass Special japan, a Line 6 PODx3 and Peavey Max115 amp
    Here is a exemple :

Thank you all!

2. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Dude! I'm with ya'. I've always been a big fan of Mike Inez'. I think he's a great bass player. The easiest way to cop his tone would be to go buy a Warwick Streamer, most likely a Stage 1, 4 Ampeg SVT 2Pro heads, 4 1x18 cabs, 4 810 cabs, A Sansamp BDDI, new strings, and some good picks, hook it all up and crank the heck out of it....

But if you just want to use the stuff you've got, I'd probably tell you to just find a good fuzz setting on your POD and put some new strings on your bass. Seriously, bro, Inez is running 4 amps, 4 18's, 32 10's, and he's got a $3k bass! I'm sure there's a setting on your POD that'll make you happy. Find it and go forth and melt faces...:bassist:

3. klejst

klejst

Awesome tone. Inez is a great bassist. I loved AIC growing up in the 90's and still follow them today. It's still too bad about Layne, however as a fan I actually welcomed William to the band because he sounds very close to Layne and when together with Jerry it sounds like AIC to pretty much a T.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I am an AIC fanatic as well. While Mike uses about 4 amps and 30 cabinets on stage, I think that may be a little impractical for us common slobs. I cop his tone pretty well with an RBI, an 810cl and a Ric, but if I were trying to get really close I suppose I would get a Streamer Stage II and an SVT 2Pro.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndyLES

AndyLES

How many of those cabs are actually ON?

7. 4001

That is one of the most badass tones I've ever heard.:bassist:

8. 4001

Probably all of them but I'd bet what we hear in that video, and it is awesome, is a combination of mic'd and direct.
    The stage volume must be incredible though.
    I'd love to try that rig out at 4AM and treat the neighbors I dislike to some of that.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

A lot of the tone in this video can be attributed to the Blue Steels.

10. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Inez uses Stage I Streamers, you can tell by the pickups. Stage Is are P/J, Stage IIs are J/J. I think Stage Is are a bit less expensive...although once you get to $3k, it really doesn't matter. LOL!

You could probably cop that sound with a Spector Euro 4LX. The Tonepump circuit in those are pretty growly...

11. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

And EMG Pickups in a PJ setup. As well, dig in slightly sideways with a pick near the bridge pickup. His up and down comes from the corner of the P pickup and moves towards the furthest part away on the J pickup, check out that pick angle! Change your strings before every gig. I would forgo the Fuzz suggestion and stick with an over driven SVT from the POD, however; that is a lot more mids than a typical line6 SVT sound. FWIW, crank the mids above 500hz.

12. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

Media:
  13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The clips I've heard of the Darkglass B3K/B7K pedal sound like they boost that grindy, clanky, upper mid frequency hard.

EDIT: Beaten by the above poster, but clearly I'm not alone in my opinion.

14. gricko

gricko

15. scoopscallahan

scoopscallahan

Chasing the same thing. I bought an '87 Kramer Spector NS-2A, a '93 SVT, and newish Ampeg 410. It's heavy but doesnt growl quite enough yet. I'm tweaking the EQ to get there. Good luck with the pursuit.