1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mike Lull 2013 "Pipeline" Orders

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Much like I've already done with Roscoe, I've now setup a bunch of new bass orders with Mike Lull! My intent is twofold:

1) I want to have one new Lull bass arrive each month so I have a steady flow of fresh stock coming through the store.

2) I want to dangle some bait and see if anyone bites! :help::D

Please treat any estimated ship date as just that - it's an estimate. Bass building is not an exact science, and I'll be happy if these come in plus or minus a month of when they're planned. And, of course, if you see one that you like and it's scheduled pretty far out, I can always speed it up if you want to pony up a deposit to claim the bass. 12 weeks is the typical minimum build time for a Lull.

I've ordered all of these basses with gig bags to keep the cost down. A hardshell case can be substituted for an additional $125.

So without further ado, here's what I've got in my Lull pipeline for 2013!

Feb 2012 - Mike Lull PJ4 (3TSB)
    - Ash/Maple
    - 3 Tone Sunburst w/ Tort guard
    - J Neck
    - Fralin P/J PUPs

March 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (Metallic Gray)
    - Ash/Maple
    - Metallic Gray w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Black Block Inlays
    - Duncan hum-cancelling PUPs
    - Bart NTMB preamp

May 2012 - Mike Lull P5 (Candy Apple Orange)
    - Ash/Maple
    - Candy Apple Orange w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Duncan custom P Pickup

June 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (2 Tone Burst)
    - Alder/RW
    - 2-Tone Sunburst w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Duncan hum-cancelling Pickups
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

July 2012 - Mike Lull PJ5 (3TSB)
    - Alder/RW
    - 3-Tone Sunburst w/ Tort guard
    - Duncan P/J Pickups

August 2012 - Mike Lull P4 (Olympic White)
    - Alder/RW
    - Olympic White w/ Tort guard
    - Fralin P Pickup

September 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (Black)
    - Ash/MP
    - Gloss Black w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Black Block Inlays
    - Duncan hum-cancelling Pickups
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

October 2012 - Mike Lull PJ4 (Trans Blue)
    - Ash/MP
    - Trans Blue w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Fralin P/J Pickups

November 2012 - Mike Lull PJ5 (Trans Orange) **PRE-SOLD**
    - Ash / [del]MP[/del] RW
    - Candy Apple Orange w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Black Hardware
    - Duncan P/J Pickups

December 2012 - Mike Lull M4V (Candy Apple Red)
    - Alder/RW
    - Candy Apple Red w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Mother Or Pearl Block Inlays
    - Fralin Single Coils
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

January 2013 - Mike Lull P5 (3TSB)
    - Alder/RW
    - 3 Tone Sunburst w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Duncan P/J Pickups

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Some of them sound utterly gorgeous.

3. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, I tried to go for a mix of price ranges just so I have something for everyone at some point in the year. I tried to get a nice mix of 4 vs. 5, active vs. passive, P vs. J, etc. Some of the basses are stripped down, some are macked out...

It was certainly a fun exercise to do, and I'm going to try to do this every year from here on out. I want to guarantee I keep fresh stuff coming through continuously...

4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Are the PJ basses going to be a P bass with the added jazz pickup, or the jazz bass with the P pickups in the neck position?

Mark

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Mike's PJ bass models are P basses with a J pickup added in the bridge position.

But he'll build a bass the other way, too. You start with one of his J models and have him put a P in the neck position. There's no charge to do that. And IIRC, Jerry has (or had) just such a bass. :D

7. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Thanks Greg, I should have figured that out. A Lull M5V w/P pickups and active electronics would be really cool.

Mark

8. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, I've really fallen in love with Mike's P basses over the past 6-9 months. I don't own one yet, but I will rectify that situation at some point.

9. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmike Lull. That was a fun read, Greg. Lull and Rocket...one heck of a nice partnership, for sure.

Here's my ash M5V with the P/J config (both pups are Seymour Duncan, the J is the linear humbucker) and Bart NTMB. This bass is AMAZING. That pick guard hides a wee bit more custom magic as well... When I added the P, I wanted to hedge my bets, so I asked Mike to rout for either P or J, and to wire a quick-connect for each pickup. Took me about 10 seconds to realize the J pickup and old pick guard would stay on the shelf, but I offer this as an example of what Mike is happy to perform. Anyway, here's the Dreamsicle:

[​IMG]

I have two other Lulls, both of which were retail spec, and both of which are absolutely incredible. Totally the Fender-that-shoulda vibe. Do NOT hesitate to buy from Rocket stock.

10. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's the one! Thanks for chiming in, Jerry.

While I was putting together these orders, Google fed me a picture of you holding that one in Gelb. I used that as the basis for the November trans orange PJ5 on order above. So as not be a copy-cat, I changed the headstock to black and the color to trans orange. Everything else, I think, will be similar. I might ask for a chrome control plate and the black vintage J knobs if Mike bothers to ask me, but I'd be fine either way. The black plate with black dome knobs is pretty b*tchin', too.

11. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Totally spot-on, Greg. The black control plate and 'modern' knobs is almost over the top - although I do like that it helps make the pearloid guard stand out even more. Nonetheless, you nailed my next ideal spec. Oly white against a tort guard and rosewood board. Black bridge, straplocks, and headstock hardware, but vintage control plate and knobs. Slurp. :D

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Mike's candy apple orange is awesome. As is the trans orange. I sense a trend...

[​IMG]

13. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Are you still digging that M4V, nostatic? I think you we're unsure of keeping a Jazz bass.

14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Thankfully this was one of my experiments that worked out. The Lull is a keeper and that is saying something given the other instruments in the house. I historically haven't been an ash/maple/JJ guy but this bass just works. I've owned some of the other "boutique Fenders" in the past and I think Lull has it down. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one of Mike's instruments. A trans orange PJ is really tempting...

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I have been watching this thread carefully, and I have to say over the last year or so I have been eyeing a Lull albeit very cautiously. I typically don't get along with "Fender-esque" ergonomics at all, but I suspect Mike's downsized J body and overall lighter weight might be enough for me. I certainly love the look and sound of these instruments, so it's just a matter of feel.

I need to get my hands on a few to feel out the neck profiles, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before I'm putting my name on an order.

16. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I've certainly got a few here at the store, Jeff, if you can swing through Blacksburg on your trip!

17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I am certainly going to try Greg :cool:

18. jimc

jimc Supporting Member

Greg,

Are you thinking of making any of the fivers 34" scale? I dig Mike's basses but kept away previously as he only offered 35", I understand now that he will do 34".

Jim

19. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    None of these 5'ers are 34", but we could certainly do a special order for one for anybody. I've had one pass through our store, and the B string was still quite nice.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

September's M5V is almost exactly what I had inquired about a while back (just needs a matching headstock and black pearloid pickguard to be perfect).

I gotta think about this one........it is either something like this, or a fretless Roscoe.

21. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music