Mike Lull 2013 "Pipeline" Orders

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Much like I've already done with Roscoe, I've now setup a bunch of new bass orders with Mike Lull! My intent is twofold:

1) I want to have one new Lull bass arrive each month so I have a steady flow of fresh stock coming through the store.

2) I want to dangle some bait and see if anyone bites! :help::D

Please treat any estimated ship date as just that - it's an estimate. Bass building is not an exact science, and I'll be happy if these come in plus or minus a month of when they're planned. And, of course, if you see one that you like and it's scheduled pretty far out, I can always speed it up if you want to pony up a deposit to claim the bass. 12 weeks is the typical minimum build time for a Lull.

I've ordered all of these basses with gig bags to keep the cost down. A hardshell case can be substituted for an additional $125.

So without further ado, here's what I've got in my Lull pipeline for 2013!

Feb 2012 - Mike Lull PJ4 (3TSB)
    - Ash/Maple
    - 3 Tone Sunburst w/ Tort guard
    - J Neck
    - Fralin P/J PUPs

March 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (Metallic Gray)
    - Ash/Maple
    - Metallic Gray w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Black Block Inlays
    - Duncan hum-cancelling PUPs
    - Bart NTMB preamp

May 2012 - Mike Lull P5 (Candy Apple Orange)
    - Ash/Maple
    - Candy Apple Orange w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Duncan custom P Pickup

June 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (2 Tone Burst)
    - Alder/RW
    - 2-Tone Sunburst w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Duncan hum-cancelling Pickups
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

July 2012 - Mike Lull PJ5 (3TSB)
    - Alder/RW
    - 3-Tone Sunburst w/ Tort guard
    - Duncan P/J Pickups

August 2012 - Mike Lull P4 (Olympic White)
    - Alder/RW
    - Olympic White w/ Tort guard
    - Fralin P Pickup

September 2012 - Mike Lull M5V (Black)
    - Ash/MP
    - Gloss Black w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Black Block Inlays
    - Duncan hum-cancelling Pickups
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

October 2012 - Mike Lull PJ4 (Trans Blue)
    - Ash/MP
    - Trans Blue w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Fralin P/J Pickups

November 2012 - Mike Lull PJ5 (Trans Orange) **PRE-SOLD**
    - Ash / [del]MP[/del] RW
    - Candy Apple Orange w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Black Headstock
    - Black Hardware
    - Duncan P/J Pickups

December 2012 - Mike Lull M4V (Candy Apple Red)
    - Alder/RW
    - Candy Apple Red w/ White Pearloid guard
    - Mother Or Pearl Block Inlays
    - Fralin Single Coils
    - Bartolini NTMB preamp

January 2013 - Mike Lull P5 (3TSB)
    - Alder/RW
    - 3 Tone Sunburst w/ Black (BWB) guard
    - Duncan P/J Pickups
  2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Some of them sound utterly gorgeous.
  3. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, I tried to go for a mix of price ranges just so I have something for everyone at some point in the year. I tried to get a nice mix of 4 vs. 5, active vs. passive, P vs. J, etc. Some of the basses are stripped down, some are macked out...

It was certainly a fun exercise to do, and I'm going to try to do this every year from here on out. I want to guarantee I keep fresh stuff coming through continuously...
  4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Are the PJ basses going to be a P bass with the added jazz pickup, or the jazz bass with the P pickups in the neck position?

Mark
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Mike's PJ bass models are P basses with a J pickup added in the bridge position.

But he'll build a bass the other way, too. You start with one of his J models and have him put a P in the neck position. There's no charge to do that. And IIRC, Jerry has (or had) just such a bass. :D
  7. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Expendable Supporting Member

Thanks Greg, I should have figured that out. A Lull M5V w/P pickups and active electronics would be really cool.

Mark
  8. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, I've really fallen in love with Mike's P basses over the past 6-9 months. I don't own one yet, but I will rectify that situation at some point.
  9. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Mmmmmmmmmmmike Lull. That was a fun read, Greg. Lull and Rocket...one heck of a nice partnership, for sure.

Here's my ash M5V with the P/J config (both pups are Seymour Duncan, the J is the linear humbucker) and Bart NTMB. This bass is AMAZING. That pick guard hides a wee bit more custom magic as well... When I added the P, I wanted to hedge my bets, so I asked Mike to rout for either P or J, and to wire a quick-connect for each pickup. Took me about 10 seconds to realize the J pickup and old pick guard would stay on the shelf, but I offer this as an example of what Mike is happy to perform. Anyway, here's the Dreamsicle:

[​IMG]

I have two other Lulls, both of which were retail spec, and both of which are absolutely incredible. Totally the Fender-that-shoulda vibe. Do NOT hesitate to buy from Rocket stock.
  10. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's the one! Thanks for chiming in, Jerry.

While I was putting together these orders, Google fed me a picture of you holding that one in Gelb. I used that as the basis for the November trans orange PJ5 on order above. So as not be a copy-cat, I changed the headstock to black and the color to trans orange. Everything else, I think, will be similar. I might ask for a chrome control plate and the black vintage J knobs if Mike bothers to ask me, but I'd be fine either way. The black plate with black dome knobs is pretty b*tchin', too.
  11. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Totally spot-on, Greg. The black control plate and 'modern' knobs is almost over the top - although I do like that it helps make the pearloid guard stand out even more. Nonetheless, you nailed my next ideal spec. Oly white against a tort guard and rosewood board. Black bridge, straplocks, and headstock hardware, but vintage control plate and knobs. Slurp. :D
  12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Mike's candy apple orange is awesome. As is the trans orange. I sense a trend...

[​IMG]
  13. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump Supporting Member

Are you still digging that M4V, nostatic? I think you we're unsure of keeping a Jazz bass.
  14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Thankfully this was one of my experiments that worked out. The Lull is a keeper and that is saying something given the other instruments in the house. I historically haven't been an ash/maple/JJ guy but this bass just works. I've owned some of the other "boutique Fenders" in the past and I think Lull has it down. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one of Mike's instruments. A trans orange PJ is really tempting...
  15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I have been watching this thread carefully, and I have to say over the last year or so I have been eyeing a Lull albeit very cautiously. I typically don't get along with "Fender-esque" ergonomics at all, but I suspect Mike's downsized J body and overall lighter weight might be enough for me. I certainly love the look and sound of these instruments, so it's just a matter of feel.

I need to get my hands on a few to feel out the neck profiles, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before I'm putting my name on an order.
  16. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I've certainly got a few here at the store, Jeff, if you can swing through Blacksburg on your trip!
  17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I am certainly going to try Greg :cool:
  18. jimc

jimc Supporting Member

Greg,

Are you thinking of making any of the fivers 34" scale? I dig Mike's basses but kept away previously as he only offered 35", I understand now that he will do 34".

Jim
  19. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    None of these 5'ers are 34", but we could certainly do a special order for one for anybody. I've had one pass through our store, and the B string was still quite nice.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    September's M5V is almost exactly what I had inquired about a while back (just needs a matching headstock and black pearloid pickguard to be perfect).

I gotta think about this one........it is either something like this, or a fretless Roscoe.
  21. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music