Mike Lull P4 Sound Clip

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Dec 15, 2012.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    It's been a while since Danny and I have done any recording together, we've just been too busy. In his spare time, Danny has been grooming his kids to help round out an Irish folk band. His 13-year old daughter Kaela is really blossoming as a musician (piano, sax, and now singing!), and his son Cole (10 or 11?) is coming along nicely, too, on guitar, drums and banjo. The Dunlap family recorded 5 tunes during the past 2 nights to make a Christmas gift for their family use, and Danny asked me to mix & master those tunes this afternoon. I did some real quick guerrilla mixes for his purposes (he needed it today!), but then I spent some time doing a more detailed mix of my favorite tune. I also added a bass part... because that's what I do!! :D

I started out using my Lull M5V, but I was hearing a P bass in my head. So I broke out this Mike Lull P4 again, and it recorded absolutely beautifully (if I do say so myself). It really helped me nail the tone I heard in my head, so color me happy.

This tune features:
    Danny Dunlap: acoustic guitar
    Kaela Dunlap: vocals
    Cole Dunlap: banjo
    ? Dunlap: auto-harp (I suspect Danny or Kaela).
    Me: bass (recorded direct through my A-Designs REDDI & P1 preamp)

"Fair And Tender Ladies" (Traditional)

[​IMG]

I don't know why I'm pointing out this sound clip. I desperately want to own this bass myself, so I should just shut up about it... :help::rollno::D
  2. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    And just 'cause I can, here's the naked bass track with all EQ and FX removed. This bass sounds frickin' amazing!!!! WANT!!!!!!

The first two verses (with bass) were palm muted, and the last two were just usual finger style plucked right over the pickup. Volume and Tone were wide open.

"Fair And Tender Ladies" (Traditional)
  3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Just awesome.

My compliments to Danny's family and the bass player.

BTW. I so want that blue alder P.
  4. bassWR

bassWR

+1
    Love the traditional tune and it's extra special when played together as a family.
  5. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Jerry has occasionally suggested that I have another beer before attempting another take on some of my recording attempts. Well, it's Friday, and I took Jerry up on his advice. :D

BBS (Beware of Bass Solo).

Here's me (just a little bit further in the bag) playing on another one of Danny's family tunes with this Lull P4. I REALLY had fun playing along with young Cole's solo at the end of the tune. It's not often that we get a chance to make a 10 year old guitar player sound like he's doing more than he actually is. What fun!! I hope I didn't trample. Young master Cole rocks!

Kaela sounds extra dynamite on this one, too. There are no pitch issues at all in the vocals. Man, I've fallen head over heels for her voice. I can't imagine being able to do that at 13.

It was also fun doing the "Gilligan's Island" modulation in this one. :) I've been waiting a long time to pull that one out of my bag. :D

"Cuckoo" (Traditional)

And I think it might be official... this bass might just be off the market. Ssssssshhhhhhhh. Don't tell my wife. :help:
  6. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    And here's the naked "Cuckoo" bass track with all EQ and FX removed.

"Cuckoo" (Traditional)
  7. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Jerry!

Good news! It's still for sale!! :D
  8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Brilliant stuff, great songs and great bass.
  9. fesem

fesem Supporting Member

Thanks for posting these Greg, they really sound good. Kaela has a wonderful voice, she just nails those melodies. If I don't see you before, Merry Christmas to you, Maggie and the boys.
  10. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Here's the awesome thing. It's rare we get to hear a naked bass track first, so I jumped on that before listening to the complete take. As soon as I heard the key change, I smiled, knowing I'd be in for something good when I listened to the full track.

VERY nice all around. Those kids are wonderful - please pass along my kudos.

Hmm. Seems like we have a situation here. Greg wants his lovely Mrs. out of the loop, Jerry wants an alder P bass. :ninja: :D

Joking aside, that bass sounds great in your hands, Greg. You and my man, Ed....good friend and guru at my local store...both sound great on these things. That is no small feat, seriously. You'd think picking up a P bass would be as easy as it gets, but that is FAR from the truth. So, passing along kudos to you as well.
  11. JOME77

JOME77

Very nice!

Hard to believe that I'm hearing a 13 year old's voice on those tunes. Just lovely!
    And yeah, the Lull sounds really good.

I kept expecting you to bring in some nice snare and bass drum during the build up of "Cuckoo".
  12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

What's the weight on that P4?
  13. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    It's really light: 6.9 lbs!
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

:eek:
  15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

So... I need a Lull P bass. Revisiting this thread only serves to reinforce that!
  16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    I have one on order with Greg. It's fast and easy! Join us :D
  17. Jeff Moote

The email for that went in to Greg before I posted here yesterday, don't worry :p
  18. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    And I still need to get back to you on that! Sorry for the slow response! It's been a zoo here...
  19. Jeff Moote

No worries Greg, I know you will get back to me when you can.