1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mike Mills R.E.M.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Jan 17, 2014.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Before I played bass back in the 1980's R.E.M. was one of my favorite bands. Wasn't until the late 1990's when I started playing bass that I realized how good a bass player he was.

Mills with R.E.M. video

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Great playing. Singing - not so much...

3. t77mackie

t77mackie

REM was never my cup of tea when they were in their heyday. However I always respected the earnestness, honesty, and sincerity of their songwriting and the vulnerability of the vocal performances. I appreciate that more and more as I grow old(er). Few bands have this quality of genuineness and is something that more songwriters should strive for. A song like Buck Cherry's 'Crazy Bitch' may sell and be fun to listen to, but, in the end what did we really get?

(Not to single out BC, I kinda dig them a tiny bit - just the 1st song that came to my mind...)

4. Rob22315

Rob22315

Huge REM fan here since Murmur first came out. Great tunes, great musicians. Yes, Mike's vocals in the linked video leave a bit to be desired but nothing a little autotune couldn't fix.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Listening to Document right now. Excellent musical craftsmanship all around. I've always liked the bass lines but just recently started listening to all of their stuff and not just the hits. Every line is just perfect for the song.

7. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Ack, yeah, pull that link and replace it with something better.

The album version is much better.

He's a big reason I got a Rick, Tommy Stinson too.

8. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Even though I've never played in a band that sounded anything like REM, he's one of my biggest influences. Top three, easily. I don't know if he gets enough credit for shaping their sound.

9. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Pretty good picker of college basketball winners as well (classic case of the rich getting richer!).

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Just played Man On the Moon on my acoustic love the band.

11. Milk

Milk

Mainly like his early playing. The only REM song i've ever bothered picking up s Radio Free Europe. I still play it once in a while. This is the kind of melodic bassline i really dig.

12. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Me. Too.

I studied Fables of the Reconstruction for a while after picking up the cassette... Now I'm going to have to dig the cd up.

13. ChopperDave

I'm listening to So. Central Rain right now, as it's rain/snowing here. There's a lot about his work there I can really dig, even if those high-register things between choruses and verses are a little hokey.

14. 10cc

10cc

15. corinpills

corinpills

One of the cool non-bass things about Mike Mills is the way he often sings a vocal hook that's not a harmony of Michael Stipe's part. He has all these sneaky little parts that get stuck in your head.

16. Linnin

Linnin

Always loved Mike Mills' melodic yet driving style on Driver 8. Perfect bass playing that couldn't be better.

17. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

REM is one of the top bands on my list. I love what Mills does with a pretty straight forward set up.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I always liked his playing and as for the vocals sound ok to me .I like folky true vocals and for that song.they work.

19. Rob22315

Rob22315

IIRC Mills' vocals figured heavily into Texarkana, I've always liked that one.

20. ChopperDave

Yeah, he sings lead on that and "Near Wild Heaven" on Out of Time.

21. davidrf

davidrf

I think Mike Mills is a hugely underrated musician. His bass lines are always cool but they never claim the spotlight. They serve perfectly the songs without becoming the obvious protagonist or overdoing anything. Very clever and tasteful bass playing.

And let's not forget he is the chief composer of many of R.E.M. songs, and he plays the piano too (Nightswimming anyone?).