Mike Pope Flexcore Blend Pot-Zero to 60?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modulus1906, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

Question for those with this preamp. I have a couple of Flexcore preamps installed in some basses. Is it me or does the balance pot on the Flexcore seem to adjust the tone out of proportion to the position of the balance Pot? For example, when rolling to the front pickup, it seems that the tone changes too dramatically with just a slight knob rotation past center. As I keep adjust the knob toward 100% front pickup, the tone does not change nearly as drastic as it does with a slight off center adjustment. Ditto for rolling to the back pickup. It sorta gives the impression of a digital "on/off" thing. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure that I like going from a balanced sound to virtually a full p-bass sound with just a slight roll toward the neck pickup. Generally, I like to favor the front pickup to fatten up the tone without getting into p bass tone territory, and I'm noticing it's hard not to wander into that territory with just a slight adjustment using the Flexcore. Thanks

2. Steveman

Steveman

I have a Flexcore and kind of hear what you're saying. I'll try and pay more attention to it tonight if I hear the same thing. One good way to adjust your tone is to play an open note dead center, then tweak the balance until you hear a sudden change.