Mike Starr > Mike Inez

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 19, 2010.

1. TUEP

TUEP

One I am the biggest AIC fan in the world. I love Alice in Chains. Technically they are about even, but from watching live videos to hearing their studio work I have to go with Starr.

In Would?, Starr drives the chorus a lot better, and in Man In the Box, his transitions in the chorus are better. He is smoother across the neck than Inez is. I saw them live when they first got Devall in 2006. Inez is talented and I think he is good, but sometimes he was playing a little weak in songs that should of had more drive. Where I think in the live vids I have seen of Starr, he kept the band tighter.

Inez best work was Jar of Flies and I love the song "Rotten Apple". Great bass melody. Yet in the heavier things I think in Dirt and Facelift, Starr's work is better than the bass work on Tripod, and Black gives way to Blue.

2. Lync

Lync

Both were very good IMO. The material you have to work with is a big consideration.

So although I like Mike Starr's tone/lines more, I just can't take anything away from Inez. Both are pros. Inez has been able to maintain his career, so that says something too.

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Didn't Mike Starr get the boot from AIC because his fondness for Heroin was overtaking being a musician? That's very strange considering what happened to Layne years later....

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Supposively he left because of family issues and because touring was taking its toll on him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

Pretty much. He is actually on Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab right now. He told Dr. Drew that Lane was the first guy to shoot him up.

As for bass playing. I think they both rock. I hope Star can get clean and get back in to the groove of things. There is too much talent there to let go to waste.

7. Qvist

Qvist

Yeah, according to what he says on Celebrity Rehab he was booted - but apparently stayed friends with Layne. I saw the episode where Nancy Staley, Layne's mom, visits him in Rehab. It was very emotional, I can only recommend that every AIC fan should check out this season.

I'm also more fond of Starr than Inez, but Inez DO ROCK. As mentioned earlier, Starr had a better drive in certain songs that just made it more appealing to me at least. He was way more aggresive, where I think Inez is more groove oriented.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

I think it has to do with the material, as previously mentioned. I have no idea what Inez would've done if he had gotten to write the bassline to Would?

9. mgauge

mgauge

Funny, when I heard Starr was out of the band, I quickly sent in my demo tape to Columbia records...

I obviously didnt get the gig(curse u Inez), but COlumbia did call me adn thank me for my submission..

nez is cool, but yes I preferred Stars agressive play.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Mike Starr for me, i like Inez but Starr had a great sound and style that i always loved.

11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    If you guys listened to Mike Inez's work with Ozzy and some his other stuff, you'd probably think a bit differently. Taken solely in the AIC context, Mike Starr's playing IS more aggressive and defined, but, overall, Mike Inez is a bit more melodic and more versatile...he fits in more places.

Having said that, Mike Starr is a great bassist(I watch the video for Would at least once a day)and I hope his new band does well!

12. TUEP

TUEP

I think they are equals in talent, just with different styles. I forgot where I read it, but I heard that Starr's abilities were really exceptional, and that what he did in AIC was more for the song than showing off his abilities.

Inez too. What he does in AIC is best for the song as he see's it.

As far as melodic I have watched live clips and will say Starr is actually more melodic in things like the "Man In the Box" chorus, and he picked the chorus to "Would" better. That is just some examples. I am saying for AIC Starr fit, and brought the bass lines and bass melodies out better. Where Inez tends to be more conservative with it.

13. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

While Inez may be a more well-rounded musician, I think Starr was a better fit for AIC. They are both fantastic players with great tone. Love 'em both, but prefer Starr for AIC.

14. Lync

Lync

I used to think that, but it turns out that most of that stuff (No More Tears etc) was played by Bob Daisley. Of course, he was removed from the credits because of money squabbles.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Inez wrote the melody to No More Tears, Daisly just played it on the record.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well, you're not the biggest AIC fan in the world. ;)

Coincidentally, I am going to the sold out show here in St.Louis tonight. I will be sitting by the doors here in just a couple hours. Every time they come anywhere near the mid-west we go. I went to Indy last year and I saw them in KC and St.Louis the year before that.

As to the topic, it's hard to say, but I lean toward Starr. Dirt was just a phenomenal album and he was just a cool fit. That said, Mike Inez is a monster too. Given Starr's problems, I'd have to say Inez is definitely the best fit now.

I saw that celebrity rehab the other day. It's the first time anyone has strayed from the " He left to be with his family" official line. To me it seems strange that they would boot him for being a junkie and then turn around and sit idle for years and years because Layne was to F'd up to perform. I guess the only people who really know are them and their inner circle. Cantrell won't say much about it I'm sure. He did an interview the other day and they asked him about Mike being on celebrity rehab. All he said was, "Mike's our friend and we wish him the best, but that show sucks because people's pain and problems are not supposed to be entertaining." Or something to that effect.

If you'd like I can review the show here tomorrow?:bassist:

17. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

I always felt the same. I think it may be the difference of Starr's Spector vs. Inez's Warwick though. :D

18. etherealme

etherealme

Apples to oranges. Hardly anyone can touch Inez playing acoustic AIC. It's tough to imagine Starr doing a better job there. But Starr seems the better live performer and player with regards to their one dimensional earlier metal records.
    This is one of those "better than" comparisons I don't see much purpose in. We have completely different results with both players while both are great and well suited to fill the bass spot with the band. :D

19. Raven2k360

Raven2k360

I was lucky enough to catch their show here Friday night here at the Fillmore....

They absolutely ROCKED the place! It really is amazing how much Duvall sounds like Staley...

20. TUEP

TUEP

Starr was on Sap and is in many regards pumped out hard and heavy basslines.

21. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

It was an incredible show, as usual. The venue is an extremely intimate one and we were extremely close to the stage ( again, as usual). Got 3 picks and and 2 posters. They didn't come out of the bus, but Baldy came out and gave everyone in line a Jerry pick and a poster.

Do any of you know what that semi-hollow bass Mike was using during "Your Decision" was?