Mikeyswood - BUYER BEWARE

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alexander Eddy, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

A LONG READ, BUT PLEASE READ ANYWAY

MODS: PERMISSION WAS GIVEN TO PUBLISH THESE EMAILS. YOU WILL FIND IT IN MY LAST POST ON PAGE 2

I have given the subject of this email ample time to acknowledge my attempts to contact him (all I wanted was an acknowledgement), but he could not even bother sending a 10 seconds email of facebook message to prevent this.

It is with a heavy heart that start this thread.

In August 2010 I began talks with Michael Wayne Pearson, aka mikeyswood, Mike Wayne, based out of Cincinnati. He is a chemist by day and multiple things by night, including the director of the Cincy Blues Fest (under the name Mike Wayne).

I had conceptualised a bass and after a little while committed to the build.

Mike's "pricing plan" works like this. $250 for shop disposables and then material costs x 2. So if your wood and hardware costs $1000 then the completed bass costs $250 + 1000x2 = $2250. He claims his pricing to be cheap, but it is more or less on par with other luthiers.

Payment terms were $250 up front 50% at build start, then the remaining 50% when it ships.

2 years ago I laid down the $250 and Mike was rather enthusiastic about the build. My employment was terminated shortly after this, and I expressed that I would have to cancel the build. Mike offered to continue building while I looked for new work. Shortly after, I came into a sizeable hunk of cash and payed the balance up to 50% (he then had $1500 of mine). This was 15 months ago.

Since then Mike has made little to no progress and is ignoring my emails and facebook posts.

I was at my wits end in July and emailed him to see what was going on. The response was that his life had got a lot busier and luthery was now not so important to him. He was now a political leader in Cincinnati, a director of a blues fest, a mechanic on the weekend and a chemist by day! His build rate is now two basses a year!

He justified his poor communication (I am paraphrasing here) by telling me I don't have his full attention and don't deserve it because I am receiving an Alembic quality bass at a bargain price. When I suggested that comparing himself to Alembic was perhaps a little ambitious, he was offended.

After a few emails back and forwards we reached a resolution of sorts. One part of the resolution was that he would make an effort to keep me updated on a weekly basis on his progress or lack off the aforementioned. 10 weeks later and I am still waiting on that first weekly update.

The bass was supposed to be completed in September (one of many deadlines he has put forward) and as it happens I have a family member state-side at the moment who I was hoping could bring a completed bass back with him.

One of two things has happened. The bass is complete and it is not what I requested (since there has been no communication between us) or the bass has not been built.

I will be bumping all his unfinished build threads to the top, and will publish my emails with him.

$1500, two years, and all I have is a photo of a neck blank

EDIT: A response has been received! see end of page 2. Not satisfactory, but perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel...
  2. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

Jun 29 2012

3. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

Jul 2 2012

4. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

Jul 3 2012 - A response!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

Jul 3 2012

7. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not Banned

Let me be the first to react...like mikey always did...

Mikey is an assh*** lalalalala....

Sorry to hear that man...people like him are an embarressment to luthiersy.....No real heart.... only in it for the money...Sucker. :bawl:

I bet he can't even play a bass....LOL
  8. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

July 6 2012 - A REPLY

9. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

July 6 - I have not had any inwards correspondence since the points I raised in this eamail were never adressed

10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Alex, you as a customer should never have had to exert any effort whatsoever in getting Mike to communicate the status of the build with you. He should have taken on that responsibility himself and kept you up to date on a regular basis without you having to ask. Major fail! :rollno:

In the business world, the customer is king. Any business person worth his/her salt knows this. And as we all know, communication is most important.

I commend you for posting this information on Talkbass as it will help warn others of Mike's business ethic.
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'd keep the personal attacks to yourself. I'd rather see this thread exist and help other people and maybe help the OP get his bass or his money back, but instead personal attacks could get the thread shut down.
  12. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not Banned

Sorry.. I'm with you..

Still think it's an ass..
  13. LightGroove

LightGroove

Sorry for your woes bro.. Shame to see/read this...I thought he was highly reputable and respected in these parts.

Hopefully this gets resolved in an appropriate manner...in the least maybe a full refund.

For the coin your discussing I think you can do a lot better
  14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Wow :/ sorry to hear man. I hope things work out for you.
  15. Mister Know Not

Mister Know Not Banned

Weird... he was good at it...
  16. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

I seriously don't know why people such as Mike do these things. Thanks to Alex, his (Mike's) reputation is now officially burned and his credibility is history. If, and that is a big IF he ever decides to "turn things around for the better," people will always have this thread and it's responses to turn back to. Talkbass is a very professional environment. First impressions and the way people conduct business is often a reflection on someone's personal attitude. I know I am rambling on here but I just don't understand how people can do this to other people and not feel a BIT guilty about it.. $1,500 is NOT pocket change to most of us..
  17. rythman6969

rythman6969

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I wonder if you're getting raked because you're in Australia? I'll bet if you could drive to Cincy and meet him face to face things would be different.
  19. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

I think you're right - the Pacific is a pretty big bit of water!
  20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

I understand if something happens to the luthier himself and he can't contact the buyer or even finish the build. But at least find a way to contact the buyer somehow. Don't go ghost for months.
  21. Alexander Eddy

Alexander Eddy

He can contact me - we're facebook friends and he has at least a few posts daily (including the last week in which I have been trying to contact him).

He's ignoring me. No two ways about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.