Miles Mosley

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

His stuff has been posted here before. I dunno. I do appreciate that someone like him is trying to expand the sonic palette - it something I've thought about playing around with if I had time.

OTOH, I can't help but feel that it gets a little too gimmicky. It's not so much that the sounds aren't cool but I feel like the bass is trying to play catch-up to what other instruments have done - namely guitar and electric bass. The distorted bass sound is fun for a little while but do it enough and you start to sound like Hendrix wailing away on Purple Haze.

What he's sorta doing is creating a new thing that you can call the "rock bass soloist". He's putting himself where the electric guitar normally goes when he's soloing. But what happens there is then the bass line falls off and away. To borrow the phrase, it lets all the air out of the balloon. When I listen to rock, I want to hear that bass line driving and creating a hook on the side. Yes it's more ability to express yourself as an individual, but as a complete package with a band I'm left wanting more.

It would be interesting if he took that "rock soloist" idea completely and actually added a bass to back him. Or like how Ron Carter/OP/etc went with the piccolo bass idea. Just own the frontman image but figure out how he and the bassist don't step on eachother.

Stylistically, he's still well within a well worn idiom. Rock, soul rock, w/e you call it. It's been done. Even with the singing. When I hear his music, I hear a lot of what I imagine to a sound coming particularly from LA. As an individual what he's doing is pretty cool. As for the sound, it's well produced, with hooks, and what not but I don't know - somethings still missing.

I mostly listened to that entire vid and yeah it really does sound like he's geeking out on it. He admits it. It's cool, it's fun, but it's not a new style of music. It isn't ground breaking just because a bassist is making those noises instead of a guitar. He's making it so that he can play with the other boys in the current playground.

Is it a new idea? Yeah sorta. Is it revolutionary? Not really. Guitars have been doing it for over 40 years now and finally a double bassist catches up?

We've been going through at least 15 years with no new real styles of music being invented. Would be nice if someone had a fresh ear for a completely new sound.

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sorry I posted :-(( (kiddin..)

4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Huy is being more generous than I would be. I couldn't even get through the video, shutting it down a few moments after he started singing. I'm all for new sounds, but this guy sounded like he needs the *extras* because the core is lacking. Not a bad singer nor bassist, but not a good performance or composition IMO. If he were my friend, I'd recommend that he pen a stand-out tune first and then consider interesting or entertaining ways to augment it.
    And you can flame me for not listening to the entire vid, but I think my point still stands because he failed to capture my attention after a couple of minutes, and, in my experience, any good performer can capture my attention for a couple of minutes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jake3

jake3 Guest

don't disagree with anyone so far. I think his sounds are interesting but that Bass Player clip didn't do too much for me and I couldn't get through the whole thing either. On the other hand, his cover of Hendrix' "Voodoo Child," which is from 2008, I like.

7. hdiddy

Yeah I was trying to be nice but yeah, I was trying to get at that too: the fact that the material is kinda weak. And then once you distort the tone of the bass it gets even more nasal that it already is with arco. It just loses that singing tone that you can get. It just comes out really compressed and nasal.

As for the Voodoo Child thing, well that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's just another cover. BFD. Hendrix is the first thing a arco bassist reaches for once the distortion pedal is connected. Not very imaginative.

OTOH, Charnett Moffett does some pretty cool stuff with his bass that is unorthodox.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BTWpEhmzk

Of course it's not everybody's cuppa. He's also done a cover of Star Spangled Banner ala Hendrix that I don't care much for. Also, I think Charnett has been doing the distorted arco thing for some time now, prob much longer than Miles Mosley. What I do really like about Charnett is what he's doing with the bass without having to resort to new gadgets. All those sounds just comes out of his fingers.

8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Thanks for posting the link to Charnett's wonderful solo! Loved it! I wish he would reissue the 1987 album "Net Man" on CD!

Respectfully- about ten seconds into the video you can see the small pedal board that Charnett is playing through- the white pedal is most likely a Boss digital delay, the blue one is probably a Boss Chorus Pedal, and the yellow one a Bass Overdrive pedal.

Joe

9. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I think Miles is Pretty Incredible.

In response to some of the above responses, if you watch that video far enough, he talks about getting low end/meaty sound with distortion and such through how he gain stages his pedals. He gets pretty particular at one point about how he does it, and he knows basic audio theory.

I think hes innovating and i think we need more people like him. I think his playing is fearless and i want to do stuff like him too, in my Jazz Band.

I would love to hang with him and jam. Articles about him say he studied with John Clayton and Ray Brown. I think he's getting the bass message in a big way and maybe we need to come out of our microcosms more and listen.

10. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Well said! :)

I like what he's doing too.

Joe

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    I saw him live in 2012 at NAMM and he was fantastic and he has skills so don't poo-poo what you're seeing and hearing because you need the chops to be able to do it and the guy did study with Ray Brown. He's also using a specially modified bass to handle the sound levels he produces without feedback and the low end he produced was massive and then there's the whole playing and singing thing in a world where many bassist can't even say their own name and play at the same time.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's OK to like it.
    It's also OK not to like it.
    Having a strong opinion that is different from someone else's strong opinion is OK.

13. hdiddy

Opinions and assholes and all.

All I gotta say is that this is a schtick. There's lots of players like that of all instruments that are like that. If it ever goes beyond that, maybe I'll give it serious listen. Til then, meh.

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

This is true, and furthermore, it is anything but innovative. Hendrix like Charlie Parker was an innovator, but at this point both are conservative and Hendrix is far more mainstream than Parker will ever be.
    Bass players like Lynn Seaton and Mark Dresser have already made recordings directly influenced by Hendrix using only arco techniques and no pedals, and so many bassists from mid-period Rabbath on have gone further in terms of timbre in this exact direction. So, it is cool to be wowed by it, but only if it makes you dig a little deeper into the history of the instrument and into what the instrument is actually capable of.