1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Milk Paint?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by basshoundx, Mar 31, 2014.

1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Jan 25, 2014
    Right Behind You.....
    Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    So I've been kicking around a couple ideas for the finish on a bass build, and one idea has lodged itself in my mind. Milk Paint. I LOVE The way this stuff looks, and I've heard it's a dream to work with, but I've seen more cabinets than guitars finished with this stuff. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It could work on a bass body as it is durable. Could break in nicely for a more organic look. Originally used on Shaker barns I believe and authentic milk-paint only comes in a handful of colours.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I painted a handmade body with it. It's super easy to work with, but if you don't strain it, you'll get rough little bumps in the finish. I've left mine without a clear coat, and think it looks awesome. It's a red undercoat with blue top coat.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds interesting - do you have a pic of that?

6. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Salinas, CA
    I've been considering the same idea for refinishing my pine Pbass build. I sprayed poly on it and had zero experience, so milk paint seemed like a good choice for repainting by hand (which I'm much better at) and playing to a rustic vibe without looking messy or distressed. I got the idea from seeing more than a few pine body Esquire guitar builds where milk paint was used, with various types of oil/polymerized oil sealing it and they looked great. Most of the milk paint companies recommend some kind of oil finish on top if you want a nice sheen and to help it last, I was considering TruOil over it to give it a glossy look.

If you do move forward I'll be very interested to see the result. I was hoping to have done mine already, but haven't had the free time to yet this year.

7. basshoundx

basshoundx

Jan 25, 2014
    Right Behind You.....
    Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    I would love to see that build.