1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Milk Paint?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by basshoundx, Mar 31, 2014.

1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    So I've been kicking around a couple ideas for the finish on a bass build, and one idea has lodged itself in my mind. Milk Paint. I LOVE The way this stuff looks, and I've heard it's a dream to work with, but I've seen more cabinets than guitars finished with this stuff. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It could work on a bass body as it is durable. Could break in nicely for a more organic look. Originally used on Shaker barns I believe and authentic milk-paint only comes in a handful of colours.

3. dalkowski

dalkowski

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

I painted a handmade body with it. It's super easy to work with, but if you don't strain it, you'll get rough little bumps in the finish. I've left mine without a clear coat, and think it looks awesome. It's a red undercoat with blue top coat.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Sounds interesting - do you have a pic of that?

7. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

I've been considering the same idea for refinishing my pine Pbass build. I sprayed poly on it and had zero experience, so milk paint seemed like a good choice for repainting by hand (which I'm much better at) and playing to a rustic vibe without looking messy or distressed. I got the idea from seeing more than a few pine body Esquire guitar builds where milk paint was used, with various types of oil/polymerized oil sealing it and they looked great. Most of the milk paint companies recommend some kind of oil finish on top if you want a nice sheen and to help it last, I was considering TruOil over it to give it a glossy look.

If you do move forward I'll be very interested to see the result. I was hoping to have done mine already, but haven't had the free time to yet this year.

8. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    I would love to see that build.