MIM Fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 2, 2012.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

I just played an MIM P bass and an MIM Jazz today and I have to say, every once in a while, you find one that just sings. Plays like butter, sounds smooth. I would say both of the basses I played today were MIA quality. I remember just a few months ago I played an MIM Jazz that easily beat any MIA I've ever played.

I've played my fair share of duds, but MIM Fenders can really be great.
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I sold my original player, a 2000 vintage MIM-P to a fellow in Ohio.
    This was one of those that "felt right" and really sings.

IMO, the MIM basses exceed the playing ability of all but a select group of bassists.
    Perhaps a Marcus or Victor level player could outdo the capabilities of the MIM, but I certainly cannot.
    These are great instruments at very reasonable prices.

FWIW, I've played MIA that sucked badly compared to my old MIM-P.
    Each is unique... you might have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a princess.
  3. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

I owned a MIM standard pbass and now own a Road Worn
    '57 pbass, also MIM. I liked the standard pbass but the RW is AWSOME!

I also own a MIA 2000 Jazz that is incredible.

As BGAVIN said, you may have to kiss a lot of frogs.
  4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I love mine.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have two love them both a few upgrades and they both will never leave me
  7. audiomitch

audiomitch

I've found that all Fenders are hit and miss, regardless of country of origin. Once you find a great MIM, it's just a great instrument. If you end up with a dud MIA, it's still a dud instrument. You can't count on "Made in USA" as a guarantee to quality.

I have a few MIMs in my collection because they were "good" ones, and I've dumped many MIAs because they were clinkers. Go figure.
  8. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I have a MIM P that I would put up against most MIA's. but I've also played a few terrible MIM's. I'm always impressed by MIJ's, they play like a dream!
  9. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

It's great that we all have finally figured out that Fender has been ripping us off with all these crappy USA basses, while putting all the truly HQ stuff under the MIM decal, for 1/2 the price.

But, why are we still compelled to scratch off the "Made In Me-hi-co" part, or even replace a Squier logo altogether with a Fender decal? Oh yeah, to try to fool others, along with ourselves.

Edit to add - :)
  10. Thrill-House

Thrill-House

I recently came to the conclusion that my 2012 MIM P-bass sounds better than my 2011 MIA P-bass. Mind you, both are great instruments, and i dont regret getting the MIA (got it used in a music store, and it was in mint condition), but the MIM is #1 in my bass collection.
  11. meatwad

Entirely possible, but would you say it could blow away any MIA? It's blanket statements like that (not saying you said it, but I see where this thread is headed) usually made by envious fools.
  12. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I've played a few MIM and MIA at the local music shop, and they felt like tree trunk necks.
  13. KingRazor

KingRazor

It's hard to make any blanket statement that holds any truth in regard to Fender basses, seeing as how much each individual instrument can vary in quality. They're hit or miss across the spectrum.

All I was trying to say in the OP was that there's no reason to think of MIM basses as crap, because there are plenty of great ones out there, you just have to keep looking until you find one (unless you find an MIA or MIJ bass that you like before then...)
  14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I don't have extensive experience with MIA Fender stuff. The one MIA I've tried was a Jazz 5 deluxe (one of the newer ones) and I honestly didnt like a whole lot. I mean I only spent a few minutes with it, and it was through an amp I had never tried before.

That being said, it's hard for me to imagine a Jazz sounding better than my MIM! Maybe I got lucky, maybe I'm dumb, but I just really like that damn bass, and if there's really something that sounds better than it, I'd love to try it!
  15. aus_bass

aus_bass

Every bass is uniquely different. When I went shopping for my Jazz, I played MIMs, MIAs and Squiers. I came home with the Squier CV Jazz. It just blew away all the others.
  16. meatwad

Exactly my point. I'm not a hater of MIM, at all. And I'm definitely no noob to MIJ quality, having owned and '83 SQ Squier Strat since '86 or '87. But lots of folks love to slam USA stuff to feel better about what they can afford... Sorry to rant, perhaps too soon here, but it's really become a peeve of mine lately.
  17. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I no longer have any Fender basses, but this is not because I dislike them.

I've owned a MIA Jazz, two MIM-P, MIM-J fretless, Roscoe Beck V, SR5H maple, and L1500.
    All the Fenders played very well and of good construction quality.
    The RB5 was excellent, but too wide at the nut for my taste.
    At music stores I find a wide variance in feel between instruments.

My preference is 5-strings with 1.75" nut and 17.5mm string spacing.
    My Stingray SR5HH does this, and the on-order Warmoth 5-string fretless P/J.
    AFAIK, the Fenders do not offer this.
  18. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

I'm a big fan of the MIM Classic and Road Worn series, but I really don't care for the feel of their Standard and Deluxe series necks. They're not bad basses, but for another $100-$200, you can get an instrument that feels a whole lot better to my hands.

Also, and this is just my experience, but an MIM standard fretless is the only bass I've ever seriously considered changing the pickups on. The standard jazz pickups are very... lifeless sounding to me, I guess. I was much happier with my Classic Vibe basses and my Marcus Miller.
  19. bh2

bh2

Bought my MIM P bass blind off the bay.

I was half expecting to get a duffer... turned out very nice indeed...

[​IMG]

I love it.
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

They are what they are but if you know what to look for a MIM can be as good if not better than a MIA and save you $$. I have two great MIMs and few good MIMs. The high end MIMs classic and roadworn are as good as any MIA I have played or owned but they cost more.
  21. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

I just picked up my second mim fender both p basses. Both are incredible. Reliable and in my opinion the best bang for the buck. I payed 560 for my newest one ordered from my local music store.