MIM Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigitalMan81, Nov 25, 2013.

1. DigitalMan81

DigitalMan81

Hello all.

After much deliberation, due diligence (maybe not enough) and sleepless nights, I decided to buy a Hecho en Mexico Geddy Lee Jazz... I'm not impressed with the finish. In fact, it does not look like a 3 tone sunburts should look IMO.

I received my Ged JB a few days ago and out of the box noticed the edges of the frets were fairly rough, which seems to be a highly common gripe among Ged JB buyers. Not a huge deal, alas, one should reasonably expect a well finished Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Surely not a tall order.

My main gripe is the sunburst. Compared to MIJ/CIJ sunburst finishes, which are a nice black/red/orange glow, the MIM GL's seem to have a crummy greenish brown hue.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm contemplating sending it back or selling it to find a nice MIJ/CIJ.

Thanks for any input.

2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I've had a couple of Japanese GL's and the sunburst was more two-tone than three-tone. Here's a picture of one of them without the pickguard.

[​IMG]

3. pedroims

pedroims

4. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

There is a little button that toggles the finish color from Black to Burst...