1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MIM Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigitalMan81, Nov 25, 2013.

1. DigitalMan81

DigitalMan81

Hello all.

After much deliberation, due diligence (maybe not enough) and sleepless nights, I decided to buy a Hecho en Mexico Geddy Lee Jazz... I'm not impressed with the finish. In fact, it does not look like a 3 tone sunburts should look IMO.

I received my Ged JB a few days ago and out of the box noticed the edges of the frets were fairly rough, which seems to be a highly common gripe among Ged JB buyers. Not a huge deal, alas, one should reasonably expect a well finished Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Surely not a tall order.

My main gripe is the sunburst. Compared to MIJ/CIJ sunburst finishes, which are a nice black/red/orange glow, the MIM GL's seem to have a crummy greenish brown hue.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm contemplating sending it back or selling it to find a nice MIJ/CIJ.

Thanks for any input.
  2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I've had a couple of Japanese GL's and the sunburst was more two-tone than three-tone. Here's a picture of one of them without the pickguard.

[​IMG]
  3. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

4. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

There is a little button that toggles the finish color from Black to Burst...