1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MIM Fender P-bass Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

In my relatively short bass playing career, most of it has been playing jazz basses. I recently picked up a MIM P-bass that I really like. One thing I noticed was though that my pickups are angled towards the neck vs being parallel to the strings. Is this something to be concerned about and does it need to be corrected? I don't really do any of my own tech work and can take it to someone if it needs to be adjusted. Is it something that I should be concerned about, and if not, what would leveling the pickups do? Nothing?

Thanks guys - I am new around here so sorry if this is a really basic question. Also, I may be search deficient - tried a search and didn't really see this addressed. Could be operator error.

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

Not sure what you mean by "angled toward the neck", but if I understand you right, that doesn't matter all that much. the important angle is how the pickup heights are relative to the height of the strings following the radius of the fretboard. The split P pickups should be a little higher by the A string in the upper half of the pickup, as well as the D side of the lower half. In other words. each pair of pickup pole should be about the same distance from the bottom of each string (approximately 1/8" or so).
    I hope I'm explaining this right, if not, surely someone else can clarify.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    this is often the result of binding between the pickup and the guard, often a result of screw mis-alignment. pretty easy fix to fill, align, drill and mount. Or it maybe an after market pickup or guard and the guard needs a little relief - or it may be that the original pilot holes were angled off vertical.

Either way, I would sure prefer parallele to the strings. Sonically probably a subtle difference, maybe inaudible. unless it is way off angle wise, this would be an aesthetic flaw. not one I would live with given the ease of correction

4. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

What I mean by angle is that they are leaning toward the neck vs the top just being parallel to the strings. My POV is from holding the bass like I was going to play it and looking down.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch

Oh, Ok. No, that doesn't really matter. That angle you are talking about has no effect on the sound.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't do any harm, but if it really bugs you, you can put a piece of foam under the leaning side of each part of the pick up. Problem solved.

8. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves