MIM Fender P - Bridge Set Screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

What is the size of the Bridge Set Screws on the MIM Fender P? My particular bass is from 2002. I bought it used and the previous owner destroyed several set screws by using the wrong size allen wrench. So I can not adjust the bridge properly.

I have figured it's an M3 (3mm in Diameter) and 10mm (in length). I think. The thread size is the confusing part. The Fenders have a very narrow thread. Previous replacements from the hardware store are yielding a thicker thread. Which certainly does not fit. Can someone please tell me the thread size I need to be looking at? Or can you direct me to a place that sells the EXACT screw I need? Thanks.

2. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Have you tried fractional screws of the closest approx. diameter, e.g. 1/8" ? Metric thread doesn't really fit in the typical whitworth thread pitch used for fractional screws. As far as I know fractional is the standard in Mexico for all industrial goods (bolts, anchors, drill bits, etc).

3. Gearhead17

Can you direct me to an online retailer which sells what you are talking about? I am not even sure how to measure my set screw and figure out what I need. I am going to email Fender and see how fast they get back to me.

To answer your question - No, I have not tried that.

4. Steveaux

Steveaux

Mexico is on the metric system.

Whitworth is a British system (BSW).

Fractional, inch, or SAE thread sizes are different from both of the above.

Check this page ... http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_screwsbm.htm .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Do you have a Fender service place or any kind of guitar shop nearby?

I have learned (from a Fender Gold Certified Tech) that Fender Mexico doesn't have specs for their basses, they have "ish" specs, so they get whatever is closest and cheapest. MIM basses are not uniform.

I would just take it somewhere that might have spares kicking around and try to get more.

7. Gearhead17

8. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

I'm afraid not, I live in Europe. But I meant 1/8" screws, rather than 3mm. Even if their sizes were the same, which they're not (I mean 3mm and 1/8") they still wouldn't be interchangeable, as their thread shapes are different.

Touché, I didn't know the US used a different thread standard than the UK. But I'm afraid you're not totally right in regards to the Mexican common usage of fasteners. Although they are on the metric system in general, as I pointed out they DO use fractional sizes for fasteners. You can see that for yourself in the Mexican Hilti website or in the Tormex page (an enormous manufacturer of screws and bolts in Mexico). Not being a smart-ass about it, I just work in the industry.

9. Steveaux

Steveaux

I have worked in Mexico, wrenches in hand, teaching assembly procedures. They only use SAE components for outside applications. SAE is not standard in Mexico.

10. 72LML

72LML

The thread size should be a M3 x 0.5 x 10mm long.