1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

MIM Jazz fret edges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loxjet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    Hi all. Longtime listener, first-time caller. I just received a Fender MIM Jazz bass as a gift. I usually play a 1990 Jazz Plus, and this new bass is taking some getting used to. The biggest problem is that the fret edges are like little knives -- after about 10 minutes of playing, the pad of my left index finger is killing me. It's like playing a dull saw blade. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this, or do I just have to grin and bear it? (forgive me if this has been asked before. It's probably a common lament.)

2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    I suppose I would tape the edge of the fretboard to protect the wood and then carefully file down the offending protrusions.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This is commonly known as "fret sprout", and it happens when the fretboard shrinks due to changes in humidity. The solution is just to file down the fret ends. A quick google search should yield a ton of results on how to go about it.

5. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2011
  6. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I bought one of those fret edge files for something like $20 and after hacking up my fretboard, I decided it was worth it just to pay for a professional fret edge clean-up. :(

7. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    That is the kind of thing I too leave to my friendly neighborhood guitar tech.

8. loxjet

loxjet

Feb 25, 2013
    Billings MT
    Thanks for your input, everybody. Much obliged.