MIM Jazz fret edges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loxjet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. loxjet

loxjet

Hi all. Longtime listener, first-time caller. I just received a Fender MIM Jazz bass as a gift. I usually play a 1990 Jazz Plus, and this new bass is taking some getting used to. The biggest problem is that the fret edges are like little knives -- after about 10 minutes of playing, the pad of my left index finger is killing me. It's like playing a dull saw blade. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this, or do I just have to grin and bear it? (forgive me if this has been asked before. It's probably a common lament.)

2. bobba66

bobba66

Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    I suppose I would tape the edge of the fretboard to protect the wood and then carefully file down the offending protrusions.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This is commonly known as "fret sprout", and it happens when the fretboard shrinks due to changes in humidity. The solution is just to file down the fret ends. A quick google search should yield a ton of results on how to go about it.

4. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Troph

Troph

I bought one of those fret edge files for something like $20 and after hacking up my fretboard, I decided it was worth it just to pay for a professional fret edge clean-up. :(

7. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

That is the kind of thing I too leave to my friendly neighborhood guitar tech.

8. loxjet

loxjet

Thanks for your input, everybody. Much obliged.