1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MIM Jazz Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dehosier, Sep 16, 2013.

1. dehosier

dehosier Supporting Member

Hello, This is my first post to TB. I never knew it existed until I started researching my latest project, the MIM upgrade. There seems to be a lot of knowledge in the forums here, so I decided to try to get some ideas on how to resolve my problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When I removed the original tuning machines from my MIM bass I noticed the bushings had what appeared to be masking tape going all the way around them. I purchased the Schaller replacements, but when I put the new bushings in, they fall right out. I put some masking tape on them and they're still a bit loose. I'm thinking this must be a common problem. What is the best solution? Thanks!
  2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Masking tape?

Seriously, if the ferrules just need to be bushed out a little...
  3. dehosier

Thanks for the response. I am new to this type of a project. Can you add some information on how one manages to "bush out" the ferrules? I really appreciate your input.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yes it's a common problem. Tuners purchased without first measuring the holes to get the right size or trying to fit American ferrules on a metric bass.
  5. dehosier

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll purchase the correct tuners for the MIM. Cheers
  6. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

If the bushings are just a little bit undersized, adhesive copper or aluminum tape could be used to take up the slack. I've used both with no problems. The aluminum tape is readily found at hardware stores, used for taping up ductwork.

And no, not 'duct (aka duck) tape!'
  7. dehosier

Thanks, that's an option I never would have thought about. I'll check into that.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

You need the Fender Vintage bushings which are a bit larger.
  9. dehosier

Thanks for the input...I actually did my measurements and have my hipshot HB7's on order. Cheers!!!