MIM Jazz V Chronic Bowing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sir Squier, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

I've got a 2005 MIM Jazz V that is determined to keep bowing forwards even after a setup by a tech and my own frequent adjustments to the truss rod. I was hoping you gents may have a solution that doesn't end in me buying a new neck or a new, higher quality bass.

2. garp

garp

I’ll preface my comment by saying that I’m a huge fan of the MIMs, and own several of them.

In my experience, a Jazz V in good condition shouldn’t need frequent truss rod adjustments unless it’s being exposed to drastic temperature/humidity changes or it’s constantly being restrung. I haven’t done a truss rod adjustment on my V in something like three years, and I live near salt water with annual temperature swings from -10°F to +100°F.

If a qualified tech has verified that the truss rod is functional and has done a proper setup, and the neck is still bowing unexpectedly, a neck replacement may be in order.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

To be quite frank, that piece of wood just might not have wanted to be a neck. A truss rod can only do so much. As stated before, a new neck may be in order...

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Agreed, that sounds like a bad neck. My MIM Jazz 5 is solid as a rock through some pretty wide temp and humidity swings here as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been thinking for a while about buying a custom fretless neck from Warmoth for this bass as Fender doesn't make a fretless V Jazz. So this may be the opportunity to do so. The only downside is I lose my little Fender decal and along with it any resale value.

7. Bobster

Bobster

8. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

I did purchase it new and I wasn't aware the warranty was lifetime. Sounds like something worth investigating, Thanks Bob.

I've been doing some thinking about taking the neck to a tech to have him take off the fretboard, replace the truss rod inside and stick a new fretless fretboard on. Would replacing a fretboard this way be possible? And would replacing the truss rod be a likely fix for my bowing issue?

9. garp

garp

Leo’s modular design for Fender guitars and basses was initially conceived as a methodology for facilitating neck replacements. So while a truss rod replacement is certainly possible, it’s definitely not an easy task.

I’d venture to guess that a new fretless neck from Warmoth would be cheaper than luthier surgery on your existing neck. Either way, modding an original MIM — headstock logo or no headstock logo — won’t really preserve the instrument’s resale value.

Bobster’s advice on consulting an authorized Fender dealer on the warranty issue would be a good starting place.