MIM neck onto an MIA body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Probably a ton of threads about this, but I'm honestly way too lazy to search them up.

Just need quick answers: yes or no. If no, what is required to fit it into the body?

MY local CL (same guy who sold me the BAII badass) is selling an MIM 2013 maple p-bass neck.

Fender sells American p-bass necks for $500. Hell no. So will MIM necks fit MIA bodies? I heard it will, but I found these answers on forums dedicated to electric guitars only..nothing too much regarding basses...
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, it should fit.

MIM is decent, but the MIA is worth the price difference, what with the graphite reinforcement and all.

look at strat-o-sphere on ebay, you might find a MIA neck a little cheaper.

which body do you have? you're not seriously gonna take a neck off one of your selects or your AV reissues for a mexi, are you?
  3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

American Standard P-Bass...not a fan of rosewood but I think I should keep it on because a MIM neck might decrease the value on my MIA
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

just hang onto the original neck and you wont have to worry about any loss in value .. put it back on should you ever sell it ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Just put the neck from my MIM Antigua P into a 97 MIA P body. Matched up perfectly and plays like a dream.
  7. ahc

ahc

I put a MIM Jazz neck on my 1995 American Standard Jazz. Bolt it on, string it up and set it up and your ready to play.
  8. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Sweeetttttttttttt alright. My MIA precision neck feels like a log compared to other precision basses I've played in my time. Even the MIM Precision necks are thinner and less chunkier. Any reason why 2001 models seem to be the most crappily made?
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

'01 is early in the American series, neck profile should be consistent entire run, and not considerably different than the AmStands before and 'New' AmStands after ... only '01 I had was an ash bodied AmSeries Jazz, and that was one of the finest basses I have ever owned ...

.. as mentioned, the MIM Standard P necks will not be the same neck profile, headstock adjust truss rod vs. heel adjust, and no graphite support rods ...also, machine heads will not be of same quality, although your '01 AmSeries will not be of the lighter variety ... MIM Standard Jazz necks are usually also a thinner (frt-back) than the MIA Standard/AmSeries necks as well ... but all will most likely be interchangeable at mount (as all mentioned above)
  10. pfox14

pfox14

I'm sorry, but can you explain why you would want to replace a MIA neck with a MIM? What's wrong with the original neck?
  11. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

He doesn't like the rosewood fretboard.
  12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Exactly. I find rosewood lacking in brightness
  13. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I would never lable the Stratosphere guy as being 'good value for money'. Apparently he used to be much better. :eyebrow:
  14. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

You're telling me. Used to be awesome. Now, I send a more than very fair "Best Offer" on items that are cheaper elsewhere and get straight up rejection. Not even a counter offer. Why put best offer option in there?!? I try to buy there first a lot of times bc the quality and shipping practices have always been great with them. Lost me as a customer for the most part as of late.
  15. Down_Low

Down_Low

Lost me a a customer when they sent me a neck with a chipped headstock. No way that happened during shipping. Not worth going through the hassle of shipping back though. Happy to use it but shouldn't have been sold as new with a new price tag.
  16. elBandito

elBandito

Bought a few usa bodies from stratosphere. Most of them had some kind of imperfections not mentioned on the listings. Always got a no hassle refund tho.
  17. bray101

We're getting a little off of the OP's topic, but I will just add finally here that most of the stuff on his store, I've been able to find for substantially less right here On Talkbass. If you don't see an ad for what you need, just post a Wanted Ad and chances are someone has what you need. Great place to start right here.
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have done it a few times as well ... usually to switch to a profile that I prefer ... but also because I prefer headstock adjust truss rods ..

... I even put an Indo Squier neck on a MIA body ... if you like it, use it .. ;)
  19. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Unless you are a Canadian :(
  20. bray101

Ha. Unfortunately, yes. In most cases. At least you have health care on your side.
  21. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

all i can say is that with fenders most of the tone and overall "quality" of the instrument follows the neck; sorry, but replacing an american standard neck with a mexi or squier is just creating yourself a poorer-quality bass.*

wood selection, truss rod function, fretwork, it's just a step down.

*mexis and squiers are both good for the money, but that "for the money" disclaimer always obtains.