MIM P bass christmas upgrade project

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Espresto, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Espresto

Espresto

Hello Talkbass!

I've decided that, rather than get some pedals I won't use, or an amplifier that I can't take to gigs, I would like to upgrade my P bass, which has recently been playing second (bass) fiddle to my Modulus. I'd like to keep the budget under $300 though, and I don't have any luthiers anywhere nearby, so this has to be 100% DIY. I already replaced the pickups awhile back.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll install a new bridge (Hipshot B) new tuners (Hipshot HB2 lollipops) add a new pickguard (matte black) and add black inlay stickers, as long as they don't end up looking too kitschy.

I'm not an expert, so I'd like to know what you guys think would be the best possible upgrades, cosmetically, and/or sonically for the bass.

I attached a current photo of the bass, and a photoshop mockup of what my current plan would look like.

Attached Files:

2. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Not sure of the black blocks against the rosewood board... MOP decals?

3. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Though that wouldn't really be in-keeping with the black theme of the hardware and guard...

4. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

IMHO, Black against the blue with rosewood is a little sucky as a concept. I'm not feeling the love at all

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Espresto

Espresto

Yeah, I couldn't think of much else though. Any better ideas?

I really wish I'd gotten a maple board way back when. I have a hard time thinking of anything that looks good with rosewood other than sunburst.

7. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

MOP blocks, white pearl guard, stick with chrome hardware?

8. Espresto

Espresto

I'd like to make it darker though.

9. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have upgraded a few MIM basses and it's my favorite hobby. I would not waste money on a new bridge it does nothing to your tone or sustain I learned the hard way people will swear that it does and if your tuners aren't giving you trouble I wouldnt bother with the tuners I installed some Hipshots on a Jazz ended up taking them back they didn't perform any better than the stock ones. I would do a pearl guard with white pickup covers and a chrome bridge and chrome pickup cover. I see you already changed the pickups so that's covered I would look on eBay there are guys who do NOS component repro wiring harnesses for pretty much whatever year you want I also added a grease bucket circuit on one of the P's

11. Darren Low

Darren Low

How about pearl blocks, chrome hardware, but a black pearl pickguard instead?

12. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

+1

13. Espresto

Espresto

Alright, I definitely need to replace the bridge, the stock one is falling apart. You're probably right about the tuners though; I just liked the idea of black hardware. I like the look of the white pearl/MOP inlays, but I just don't think it fits what I want in a bass. I don't want it to look too flashy or bright. Is there anything else that would look good with blue and rosewood?

14. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

The only reason to monkey with the tuners is appearance. Black is cool, black pearl pg with black screws and a black bridge but the black blocks are likely not worth the effort on the rosewood and the stock dots will look fine. The black and blue looks good to me, better than white pg they look cheap to me.

15. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Rather than spend all of this money on parts, why not sell your rosewood neck and pick up a maple neck? (Since you said you wanted one anyway) Heck, you could probably do a trade on here +/- cash and find yourself enough money to still get the parts.

Idk, it just seems to me you REALLY want black blocks. Some maple necks even have black blocks stock (ooo a rhyme :D)

16. Espresto

Espresto

I live in Shanghai though, so trades usually aren't an option. I thought about just buying a new neck, but shipping would be difficult. I'll look into it.

17. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

My mate lives in Shanghai - he's going to play a gig in Glasgow between Christmas and New Year using the music he's written with his band in China, but getting me and a drummer friend to fill in.

I would have thought finding a reasonably priced neck would be fairly easy given that so many must be made in China.

A black pg on the blue body, black hardware and a maple neck with black blocks would look sweet.