MIM P or Squier VM P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WallyN, Feb 17, 2013.

1. WallyN

WallyN

Ok I am wanting a P. Can't afford or justify a MIA so I have been bouncing back and forth between the MIM P's and the Squier VM models. The MIM's I have tried seem to feel a touch better as far as the neck and action. BUT the VM's I have tried seem pretty nice too and with almost a 300 dollar difference I am torn.

Feedback anyone?

2. sbpark

sbpark

go with a Squier Classic Vibe P.

3. WallyN

WallyN

hmmm? haven't played one of those

4. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

another for the CV. Very nice basses for the money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sbpark

sbpark

Very nice fit and finish on them, they feel great, play great, and for the money are a great value. Cost a little more than the VM, but still less than the MIM, and I think they are nicer than the MIM's. The only downside are the limited, and somewhat unappealing colors of the CV's, but that's all personal opinion!

7. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Either will work well, if you can find a good one in good playable condition, however, those CV P bass necks are some of the best out there. You won't be disapointed. Top 5 in my book. Easy and inexpensive to upgrade electronics if you are not happy with the sound on either.

Good luck.

8. awilkie84

awilkie84

I had the chance to play a VM P the other day. Can't say I liked it. The CV felt nice, albeit a little plasticy. IMO, I'd probably go with an MIM.

9. sbpark

sbpark

all you need to do is take a green scotch brite pad to the neck and it turns it into a satin neck, just like the MIM. I did it with a Classic Vibe telecaster and it ended up being a beautiful guitar. The basses are just as nice!

Here's my CV tele:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Love my CV 50's P, beautifully made, can't put it down... my '63 Jazz is sulking a little.

Just double check no one around you is selling an old MIA P bass cheap ;)

11. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Classic Vibe P bass by a landslide. Especially if you like a thinner (front to back) neck than the Standard P bass. (MIM or MIA)

12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

If you feel an urge to spend more money, and/or if you are a person who places a great deal of importance on having the name "Fender" on the headstock, then go ahead and buy the MIM.

If you simply appreciate great feel, great tone, and you enjoy keeping more of your money for buying other pieces of gear, then buy the Squier - VM or CV, you can't go wrong.

I'm biased, because I own a VM Jazz which is absolutely fantastic, and I also find that the CV Jazzes I try consistently whip any and all other basses I compare them to in the stores.

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Just for clarification, I am assuming you are talking new prices, and more importantly when you say MIM, you are referring to a MIM Standard ... just an FYI, but there are several P basses that are made in Mexico ...

... with that said, USED MIM Standards that are like new are a everywhere ... you can get one for the same price as a new Squier VM or CV ... and then again, you can get a used VM or CV for easily >$100 off a new price ... but where it gets interesting, you can also usually find a USED Classic Series 50's P for less than the price of a NEW MIM Standard ... and, while we are at it, there is currently a USED Road Worn P on Ebay in the $600 range ... both of the latter two basses happen to be MIM (made in Mexico) also ...

... only you can determine what you will like best, but again using general terms and statements can often be very misleading ... you need to mention new or used, and models ... form the parameters in the OP, we could compare a NEW Squier CV to a USED Classic Series 50's P, and there is no doubt of the better QUALITY bass there, albeit they are very different .. and I have seen used MIM 50's P's sell for LESS than $100 more than a new Squier CV .. JMHO

.. now to add another kink in the mix .. you can find USED Hwy 1 and sometimes Hwy ONE P's for under $500 too ... both MIA and less than $200 more than a new Squier VM and CV, and LESS than the MIM Standard you are asking about ... so, you can afford MIA ... now its just a matter of finding what you prefer for YOUR situation ... :)

14. Batmensch

Batmensch

All I can say is my VM P is an excellent bass, the fit and finish are impeccable, neck, frets, electronics and hardware are as good as you could want, plays easy and sounds great, and dead sexy looking to boot.
    [​IMG]

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

FWIW, you cant go wrong either way, so its a matter of your preferences ... with that said, I was just scanning the classifieds here and saw this (no affiliation) ...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-mim-2011-p-bass-957724/

.. current edition MIM Standard ('08-present), for sale used with a history of last two owners both have very good feedback, tort guard, covers, and Fender flats added .. for $325 shipped ....

... do you homework, ask questions, etc., but I would be seriously looking this way if I had posted the OP and looking P ... this is like money in the bank if it meets your criteria and you are satisfied with the replies from the sellers regarding details ... it will be worth this price the rest of its life ... JMHO

16. Wallace320

Wallace320

Op only if you can find an all maple Vintage Modified Precision like the one's C.Linton is showin' you, you can pass over MIM standard P bass

The common olympic white/rosewood Vintage Modified Precision (by Squier) is a piece of agathis

Classic Vibe is basswood so it sounds way more modern than its Fiesta red looks (plus it's very light to carry)

With MIM standards you can't go wrong but with the "Linton's"
    (can I call it like that for awhile?) you get an almost true '70s Precision bass savin' money for anything else you may need;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. altamont

altamont

I love the CV line. I've got a Butterscotch 50's P with an upgraded SCPB-3 pickup. It's a pine body with a beautiful grain pattern. The finish is a little thick, but it's something that I can live with. Maybe one day I'll just sand down the back of the neck just to make it a little faster. Great basses, to me the only down point is the tuners.

18. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

I would play both basses without thinking about price tag and see which one you like better. From experience, the best bass to get is the one that you truely want and will keep for many years and not settiling (within reason). Like tjh said you can get the MIM used for a similar price as the Squier if that's what you would rather have. Either way you will have a nice bass you'll enjoy.

19. Noot

Noot

I have owned both a MIM standard P-bass and the all-maple Squier VM P-bass .

The MIM sounded better but the Squier was more reliable.
    Still, I would go for the MIM Fender.

20. WallyN

WallyN

Wow thats high praise for the Maple VM and in fact they are on sale in my area. Will go check that one out for sure.

BTW what is negative about agathis? just curious

21. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    I don't have any problems with the agathis bodies, however, the CV's come with basswood bodies and are much lighter. (not too light) I like the CV basses better than the VM basses. Something about the necks.

Now, if you can find a CV neck and an aftermarket Swamp ash body, now that would be the ticket. Just my 2cents.

I built this one a while back (CV jazz neck with CV P body. Added Nordy NP4's and USA CTS tone circuit) wish I still had it. One of the best "low budget" basses I ever owned.

[​IMG]

Happy shopping.