1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MIM P pick guard help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingNikko5, Nov 8, 2012.

1. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

Hey guys I just got this bass from a guy recently. Annnnd, I'm not diggin the gold pick guard. I've looked at a couple other posts and have found some good sites with pick guards. But with all the variations and different cuts I'm a little confused lol. So if anyone can help me out that would be great! Thanks in advanced. Also, I'm not sure of the year but I know it's Mexican made. I looked up the serial two days ago and remember it being Mexican made. I would put the serial up but I'm not home at the moment but when I get home tonight I will. Again, thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Check eBay that's where I got mine for my MIM P Guitar Center usually carries them also make sure you go with a Fender I've tried off brands and they don't look as good to me. I like a nice tortoise shell for that bass
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I have the same bass - it's a MIM Deluxe P Bass Special... The problem with finding a cost effective pickguard for those is the knob placement... The best source I found is to order one thru Warmoth without the control holes already drilled - then use the original as a template, and drill your own holes...

- georgestrings
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

good catch George didn't notice that
  5. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

Awesome. Yea that's the problem that was throwing me off. The 4 controls. I'll check out the Warmoth route for sure. Question... What if I get a guard with 3 control spots, and make another hole? As long as the screws match up, will the 3 holes fit the 3 of my controls respectively?
  6. georgestrings

No, that won't work because of how the preamp fits into the control cavity... The only downside to those basses is the limited PG choices - but they're really killer basses, and well worth the hassle... Mine is a great player, and has tons of different tones in it:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  7. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

^^ awesome. Loving that bass for sure. I just ordered a 3 ply B/W/B without the control spots so I'll post up some updates when I get it on. Thanks for the help guys
  8. Rathage

Rathage

The quote above is from another thread. I used the same email but the order actually came from pickguardheaven.com, pattern number is the same, 13054. Fits like a glove.

ForumRunner_20121110_102311.png
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84

I believe WD Music has pickguards that fit. Possibly Bass Parts Resource?
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

You could also check with Roger at Jeannie's Pick guards. It's quite likely he already has a template for this model. He carries enough different materials to boggle your mind. ;)
  11. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

Just checked out WD. They have them with the 4 control holes. Just have to go in and select a guard and then change the option for 3 or 4 control spots. Thanks for the help everyone.
  12. georgestrings

I wouldn't count on anything from WD Music to fit worth a crap - I wouldn't recommend them to anyone... Here's an example of their work:

[​IMG]

The only thing crappier than their over-priced products is their customer service...

- georgestrings