MIM same pickup size

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ncapone, Dec 24, 2013.

1. ncapone

ncapone

Does anyone make noiseless jazz pickups for two that are the same size, a la earlier MIM models?
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

emgs are the only non-customs I know of. any reputable pup winder could probably make you a set
  4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

You could also go with Dimarzio: Area J, Model J, or Ultrajazz. Buy 2 bridge pickups, rather than the matched set.
  5. line6man

line6man

But then you will not be able to humcancel.
  6. Arvin

All of those are humcancelling on their own.
  7. line6man

line6man

:bag: That is correct. Nevermind my previous statement.
  8. ncapone

ncapone

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. Would there be a huge difference in sound if I have two bridges rather than a bridge and neck?
  9. joeeg33

joeeg33 Supporting Member

They are not bridge size. The early MIM's used 2 neck size pickups. Bartolini also makes a set, they are available at BBG.
  10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Nordstrand,...
  11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Couldnt the sides just be routed out a little and you could just use a normal set?I think with patience you could probably use a hand chisel, hammer and drill to lengthen them pretty decently. Or a dremel.
  12. ncapone

ncapone

I could...but I would probably mess it up. If I go that route I'll just take it to a luthier. Some Super 55s would be nice.
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have Super 55s on mine (the bass in my avatar) and I absolutely love them. Crystal clear tone with no noise whatsoever.

One bridge and two neck pickups, in case you were wondering.
  14. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Absolutely not. :D

You can get J-bass pickups wound to many different specs. What may be called a 'bridge pickup' in one set may well spec out identically to a 'neck pickup' in another set. Traditionally the bridge pickup is wound slightly hotter than the neck pickup to balance things out, but the different is usually ~.5 k Ohms difference, which is tonally negligible. However you could stick a much hotter pickup in the neck position and a much cooler pickup in the bridge position if required. DC resistance is often misunderstood and seen as the be-all measurement of a pickup's output, from which you can supposedly infer the tonal characteristics of the pickup. This is not the case in my experience. :bassist:
  15. MIMike

MIMike

The size difference is actually how far apart the mounting screws are, not just the overall length on the PU. It would be best to check out the above mentioned options before taking a router to the bass.
  16. Arvin

Oops, yeah; my bad. I have a bass that has 2 jazz pickups that are both bridge length, and got the two mixed up in my head.

To the OP - finding 2 neck-sized noiseless pickups should be easy enough. If you like the Dimarzio offferings, IIRC bestbassgear.com sells them as singles. I'm sure other places do, too.

I would not do any new carving or routing on that bass.
  17. line6man

line6man

The neck pickup will be louder than the bridge, due to the fact that both pickups are identical. Traditionally, bridge pickups are hotter than neck pickups, in order to balance out the difference in output between pickups placed in different locations, because there is less string movement to transduce, toward the bridge.
  18. RobbieK

RobbieK

If you go with two single coil bridge pickups, and they don't hum-cancel with each other, with most alnico J pickups, you can simply mount one of them up-side-down in its cover and swap the wires. I know this sounds crazy, but it works. You usually have to file a notch in the bobbin to allow the wires past, plus the pole pieces look slightly strange - they look sort of sunken into the cover. (You are looking at the bottom of the bobbin of course, where the magnets are flush.) Usually you do it to the neck pickup as it is generally lower from the strings anyway. For a pickup with a ceramic magnet, you can often carefully pry it off then re glue it up-side down. You need to swap the wires in this case too. Turning a pickup this way was a common mod on those 70's and 80's Japanese Jazz copies. I still do this mod a lot on cheap retro guitars.

As mentioned, in regular jazz sets, the bridge is usually a little hotter, but you should be able to even their response by adjusting the heights.
  19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    OP mentioned that he would like some Super 55's, so I'm assuming he is going to go with some form of humbucking Js instead of single coils.
  20. Troph

Troph

Again, just so no one gets confused here: you want two neck-size pickups, not bridge-size pickups. If you buy two bridge-size pickups, you'll have two pickups which won't fit rather than just one...

IIRC, once upon a time you could get a set of two neck-size J pickups from DiMarzio, where one is wired a bit hotter for the bridge position. You might give them a call and see if it's still an option.